• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who ordered a Uniden 980?

Just read a thread on adjusting the receive of a 2970 via a couple of pots. His description of the NB/ANL poorly filtering out background static, as well as some engine interference, fits my 980 also. A quick search turned up nothing for my radio.

I've grounded and bonded most of the truck and eliminated a lot of the engine noise. I've ordered a $30 1.5 farad cap from Amazon to feed off of a new power lead, to be made from a welder's whip, and then on to a distribution block. From there it'll feed my headunit, amp, 980, and amp. All this should eliminate the engine noise. But what of the excess static? My previous radio was a 949 and it was golden on AM with no engine noise or extra static. SSB had some noise, and some drift.

Last edited:
Has any one tuned one up yet? What can that put out wattage wise? How would it drive a 4 pill?

I 2nd that. My 400HD is sitting on a shelf waiting for a 980 but my local guy won't touch one. So I need to order it from someone that can set it up right. :censored:

10w AM and maybe 12-15w SSB is all you'll see from it. Bells CB has a review on YouTube that's pretty spot on.

2 of the locals bought them and with the stock mics, they sound rather meek. They both do 3 watts swinging to 15 peak AM and 17 watts pep on ssb. The output power doesn't mean much as the audio sounds like a $25 radio. They love the good buggy beeps though.
I wouldn't waste my money on a radio with all bark and no bite.
Don't ask me who tuned the radios, but they are doing the watts.

I turned mine wide open to see what it'd do and my numbers weren't as high as those. I then turned it down where it was at stock and adjusted the deadkey were I wanted it. I did turn up the modulation to where it's loud through the talkback. I get good reports but I've never heard it or another one. It is what it is. Like it, or don't like it.

I turned mine wide open to see what it'd do and my numbers weren't as high as those. I then turned it down where it was at stock and adjusted the deadkey were I wanted it. I did turn up the modulation to where it's loud through the talkback. I get good reports but I've never heard it or another one. It is what it is. Like it, or don't like it.

I NEVER go by what others say about the way it sounds.......I get someone to drive my truck and talk on my mobile then I know for sure what it sounds like.
I guess new good old fashioned am/ssb CB radios, are a thing of the past.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.