• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who remembers this guy?

DoC a declamation. Greek. The pastors sermon-center in delivery. (Find the lyrics and try it for yourself. What sounds simple, isn’t).

”Tenaha, Timpson, Bobo & Blair . . . . “

I think anyone would enjoy Ritter. One truly gifted voice actor (and college graduate at a time 99% weren’t).

“Rye Whiskey”, damned funny.

But, it’s, “Hillbilly Heaven”, gets my vote as best example of how a storyteller gets the job done. Backing chorus, masterful timing and exactitude. “Well, . . . that’s when I woke up”.

One does need to be an old-timer just to have known those rural Texans who spoke in a similar manner. Radio was rare, and TV non-existent. They had inflections as well as pauses to see if you were paying attention . . you’d better be, as in-attention shifted sands swiftly-flowing. A “story” had quite a few levels. (Don’t miss them. Others will wonder why you can’t stay a’horseback).

Give — as good as you could take — and it could be a different day afterwards. (Don’t be fooled by the ostensible subject matter: silly title isn’t the key to anything but the enticement). Part of the fun of being Texan: Take an old song, and make it swing. As play with what’s implied gets the band in synch. (What consternates those from elsewhere).

Not all of Ritter is on the surface. It’s in the diction. A silence. Flow. Several meanings on offer.

Last edited:
But, it’s, “Hillbilly Heaven”, gets my vote as best example of how a storyteller gets the job done. Backing chorus, masterful timing and exactitude. “Well, . . . that’s when I woke up”.
Oh yes indeed - Hillbilly Heaven...listen to that one many times back in the 50's and even still today.

Reactions: Slowmover
Oh yes still popular around the camp fire. While camping out here in the Mojave Desert one of the guys has a small FM Broadcast Transmitter, and has many of the old country and western (both kinds of music) music recorded on a USB thumb drive into his AM/FM radio and then the audio is feed the transmitter. Not much range over a few hundred feet.

He has hours and hours of most all the old C&W classics, pre WWII, Folk, Oldies but Goodies, 60's, 70's, 80's, and some 90's music. You never know whats coming up next on the Mojave Desert top hit parade 1000. Later on in the evening after the bottle is passed around some find it necessary to dance and play the harmonica. I am usually up and making coffee at 5 ish AM, as the morning runs thru the late night bunch awakes and slowly walks over to the camp fire looking for hot coffee. The smell of Breakfeast is in the air with Bacon, Sausage, and eggs. All while listening in to all the great toe tapping classics. Very enjoyable times.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.