• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who's the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider the RM Italy KL 7505.

It is a FCC certified ( legal ) amplifier for 10 meters. As a licensed Ham, you can modify it as you see fit as long as you operate it within the means of your license. In other words, what you do at your station is your business as far as were concerned.

This amp only requires adding a jumper wire and the TX coverage will cover what you're looking for. The KL-7505 V model is the dual fan version.

slide4.jpg

Is this the best amp? depends what side of the fence you are on. If you want a class C splatter box as many are known for to have a big deadkey and "get down" with the big maul, then no.

If you want what should be a clean amp for Amateur use being it's FCC certified, then yes.

The only downside I came across using this amp is that it requires a low deadkey below 5 watts if used on AM/FM. My Kenwood's lowest watt setting is 5w and would occasionally trip this amp into fault mode. I now use it with an older President HR2600 where I can get the deadkey down to 3 watts and it seems to hold up just fine.

Also look at the current price, not bad at all for a 300 watt amp with SSB and dual fans.
Sorry to disagree with you but, you definitely don't need a ticket to use this amp I know some "individuals" using them right now, they are really not a quality designed amp. It's not made in Sicily and that automatically makes it lose 4 stars!. And why buy that import junk when you can still get a GOOD DX-350, I am referring to the old days quality Texas Star DX-350. . . . . if you know where to get it!

Reactions: W2EKG
Sorry to disagree with you but, you definitely don't need a ticket to use this amp I know some "individuals" using them right now, they are really not a quality designed amp. It's not made in Sicily and that automatically makes it lose 4 stars!. And why buy that import junk when you can still get a GOOD DX-350, I am referring to the old days quality Texas Star DX-350. . . . . if you know where to get it!
I suggest you read the rules for CB use if that's what your implying.

Just having an amplifier capable of operating between 24 - 144 MHz at your CB station without a license is in violation.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
What is a troll

If this link helps...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll

A more specific one....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Kinda like this...
LoserIAm.png

It's essentially a person that remains anonymous and drags poison carrots thru the "Garden" a site or forum is - and there will be those that take the bait unsuspecting that the person leaving them the bad taste in their mouth is not what they claim to be.

The aftermath is a lot of wasted efforts that accomplish nothing but extra bandwidth.

A Troll is person that posts under Aliases and nicknames and uses phony Email addresses to fool most automatic logging sites to allow the user in and they begin their damage. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook - any Social Media site is vulnerable to these types of attacks. Yes, attacks, for they are designed and can even be coordinated amongst several other operators for the sole purpose to destroy sites

They just want to argue and cause arguments, post immolated materials - using the user base for the very reason they are there - to stir up trouble and discord amongst the ranks.

Entire sites have burned down due to the very thing Trolls do - they are set out to destroy "campy" sites and they cause hate and discontent amongst the user base.

Captain Kilowatt has kept us relatively free of Trolls and trolling events. He's one of the many active members here that moderates the site - he would have more details and a better definition of what trolls do.

So if you see this...
DoNotFeedTheTrolls.gif

It means
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Enjoy your stay here...

And then you have the “people” trolls and that’s them rough looking characters that you believe are married to their sister and have kids, haha. Kinda like uncle daddy... Hahahaha. I know somebody here has seen uncle daddy before.

Texas Star does not live up to the hype. Their AB bias is not regulated and drifts out of class ab as soon as you apply drive. I have also found them to be more prone to oscillation than the "class c splatter box." Most users don't even realize it's happening. The trash that spews out of an amplifier with parasitic oscillation is worse than the IMD from a class c amp. With an old crt scope you can see the fuzz on the carrier and/or modulation peaks.

Class c is no good for ssb but people get away with it. As bad as most cb sets sound on ssb no one will notice. On AM the carrier will shift the conduction angle and the thing can be fairly clean if you find the sweet spot and not over drive it. Running them at higher voltage (15 to 16 volts) is not a bad thing either. Not to get more power but to increase efficiency and lower IMD at the same output. You can carefully do this with a TX star or amp with the same poor bias circuit. Higher collector voltage will make it pull more bias current and keep it a little closer to AB......further away from class C. You have to really loaf the thing or it will explode.

Adding a regulated bias to one of these class c splatter boxes makes a very good amplifier. Add an external low pass filter or better yet a band pass filter to make it even better. TX star doesn't have that either. I would take the RM over the texas star. The only people that seem to have issues are running them too hard.

Looking for a 2 pill. Just tons of people building amps. Since this will be my main rig I will need something that's gonna last.

IN YOUR OPINION

Who's the best amp builder?
And why?

I know this is a sticky subject but let's be adults. I'm just looking for the best bang for my bucks that's gonna sound good and last a while.

This is for 11m. I know its illgeal but I'm a grown adult with a ham license, who happens to enjoy 11m. I just need something that's gonna hang with the crowd, nothing like on Ch 6.
ya' gotta love it!!

ya' gotta love it!!
it sure is!. . . . But this is my philosophy on life when it comes to 11 meter amps!! (And I never owned one less than 1 kw, so as a whole I ain't nockin it) but to my way of thinking, I aint taking a risk for anything less than a kilo!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Let me put on my scuba suit cause it's fixing' to get deep and all over me...

I like the amps I build, personally. If I wasn't gonna build one then I guess I'd buy a Texas Star, I kinda like those amps.

If I was gonna buy one though, not a company built box but one like a comp box, oh boy... I'd say I would buy one from BBi. I kinda like ole Lucas myself.. but with that said I have to say that Gatekeeper (Thomas) is building some really pretty stuff, least on camera anyway. The ones he's had painted inside and out, those are pretty boxes.

Ok, lemme have it... I feel the stones and rotten fruit flying right now.
I knew there was something that made you remind me of Paul as I said yesterday. . . now there was Paul THEE set of golden hands, beyond all others, damn the man often had a waiting time of 9 months, except if you were me or one of his club members (which were my clubs sworn enemy!!) Often thought he was in his 3rd trimester, and served all 5 Boroughs off the Apple!! But what really tickles me at this moment, is you wearing that helmet, and Paul's club (and for all I know they may still be around?) They were known as the helmets HA!! . . . "The Helmets", now that I read that your a box builder, that's what we used to call up north! an up and coming GOLDEN HAND. . . . Hey look at it this way, we also gave plenty of guys the premier title of "Captain crunch Tweakers" And after all sith "I didn't imply that. . . . "

Not sure I’m picking up what you’re putting down but I do like Captain Crunch, the original, not none of that crunch berry mess.

Like I’ve said, I don’t call myself a tech but I do work on a lot of radios. I know a good bit but there’s probably more that I don’t know. And I wouldn’t call myself an amp builder though I’ve built quiet a few. If guess you’d call me, like Martian would say, an assembler. My boxes are basically like every other Joe’s boxes on the street except I have things I like to do and change that really doesn’t make it better but I feel like it’s built with better parts. I guess I’m trying to say I don’t use the cheapest stuff I can buy.

You can satisfy some of the people, some of the time but you can’t satisfy all of the people, all the time. And I don’t try. I satisfy me.

I’m a body man by trade though, I’ve built wrecks and painted cars for most of my life. Then one day, stupidity struck me and I got into the trucking business. That lead to the radio “thing” on several levels.

I have a lot of hats. I’ve built engines before, transmissions, rearends...all for income to feed myself and my family. I’ve had a lot of jobs but it’s hard to hold my attention and I was always looking for a better paycheck. Wreck building was good and I love to paint cars but every body man I know has suffered health issues and the game is changing almost daily far as paints and chemicals go. I got out. I do it for myself and friends for the fun (and the money).

My goal is to get my Death Star completed though and destroy those pesky rebels and their Jedi friends. Hitler said I was an epic fail cause I couldn’t get my son into the family business. But I gave his goosesteeping a_s a carbonite bath... video contains adult language, viewer discretion is advised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.