1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Whose Using RG400 and a Mini Butane Torch

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by NightThumper, Jun 29, 2021.

1. The Howler

The Howler Active Member

Good video! Now I’m going to check this every time I add some coax.
    I purchased my first analyzer a couple months ago, AA-35 Zoom. Got tired of using the cheap SWR/power meters that always give different readings from one unit to the next.
    The analyzer shows a pretty good swr match on my 11 meter Penetrator in my backyard, but when I check the resonance match I get 28.020 From my switch in the shack to the antenna?
    More reading to do.

Rwb and Crawdad like this.

2. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

sheww ,captain kilowatt do you smell burning skin? i do hahaha.
    i soldered battery lugs in itty bitty batterys for space craft in my early years n we used electric irons on some and others we used a comb n carbon block riser that had a slot to put a copper piece n solder on then lift carbon up to cell ends in the comb n let it cool a few seconds remove n load another n solder away

3. Crawdad

Crawdad Down in the mud invasive species

That's cool stuff Rwb, what spacecraft ??

Rwb likes this.
  4. weatherman

weatherman Member

Just started using RG400 and made my first jumper the other day. Used amphenol ends and will not go back to anything I have used before. I like the fact that you can solder the reducer right on to the coax shield without melting everything and it will not move on you and have a 100% connection.

5. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Low-bidder

Rwb likes this.
  6. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

we did government contracs,never had any clue to what space craft they were for.
    EAGLE PITCHER made many specility batterys for uncle sam. still going too

Crawdad and Slowmover like this.
  7. weatherman

weatherman Member

Update: Made another section of coax at 17 ft and ran the new coax to antenna(new comp plus predator) back to LP-100A with the 1 ft section down to the radio and SWR is at 1.0/1 at 19 with a large area from below channel 1 to above 40 that is 1.1/1. This is on a 2006 Peterbilt 379. Couldn't be happier.

#22 weatherman, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Rwb, Dmans and NightThumper like this.
  8. Dmans

Dmans Sr. Member

RWB,
    I have heard that name before. Do they have any Heavy Equipment interests? It seems I have come across their product in my last 30 years as a Heavy Equipment Mechanic.

David

Rwb likes this.
  9. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

they have other divisions. but started here as eagle lead mining company,then merged with pitcher of oklahoma n started manufacturing batterys.they got thermal insulation division n seems like some heavy equipment has their brand too

10. 928bolo

928bolo W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I use RG400 for all of my jumpers. Much easier to use inside the shack and running through walls. Will handle 2.5kw up to 30 MHz.

I use crimp connectors for everything. Fast and easy.
    For PL259s I use these https://mgs4u.com/product/uhf-male-crimp-connector-for-0-195-inch-od-coax-7505-58/

For N Connectors I use these. https://mgs4u.com/product/n-male-crimp-connector-for-0-195-inch-od-coax-7305-n-58/

Also, the Jacket on RG174, RG316, and RG400 is not UV resistant. Don’t use it outside.

Rwb likes this.
  11. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

ive had 2 yes 2 crimped 259's to not hold.im back to solder or leave er be unhooked

NightThumper likes this.
  12. 928bolo

928bolo W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

The crimp connectors have to be the proper size for the coax you are using and the die used in the crimp tool must be the correct size for the connector.

Slowmover and Rwb like this.
  13. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

they are.

Slowmover likes this.