• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why are kenwood,icom and yaesu radios not illegal

:confused::confused::confused: name ONE "amateur 10m monoband set" that is NOT legal :mad::mad:

just because a radio can be modified doesn't mean it will be modified,nearly every superstar,magnum,connex and stryker radio to name but a few is classed as illegal because they can be modified,

yet so can all the big three radios,and you still fail to see the hypocrisy,or maybe you don't want to see it because if it were a level playing field hams would need to build their own and due to the dumbing down of the ham test that would put considerable numbers off them off air.

the law stinks of corruption,but then thats nothing new because america like many other countries was built on corruption.

13 The Office of General Counsel
(``OGC'') subsequently clarified that ARS transmitters
that ``have a built-in capability to operate on CB
frequencies and can easily be altered to activate that
capability, such as by moving or removing a jumper
plug or cutting a single wire'' are intended for use
in the CB frequencies as well as the amateur service
and fall within the definition of ``CB
transmitter.''

something i've posted before and i'll do so again,it is very clear in its wording,any ars radio capable of being easily modified for cb use is considered a cb,which legit ham radio isn't EASILY modified????

take note no mention of channel readout,band selectors or mars,just very clearly ANY ARS transmitter.are you seriously trying to tell me the big three don't deliberately market those radios towards cb'ers?

The AVERAGE CB'er Won't, Don't, Can't drop $1000.00+ on a "cb" radio. That makes it kinda self controlling.

And, what's your point, anyway?

just because a radio can be modified doesn't mean it will be modified,nearly every superstar,magnum,connex and stryker radio to name but a few is classed as illegal because they can be modified

err, none of them are "amateur" rigs and NO, they are NOT illegal "because they can be modified".
they are illegal because THEY ARE NOT CERTIFICATED

"
13 The Office of General Counsel
(``OGC'') subsequently clarified that ARS transmitters
that ``have a built-in capability to operate on CB
frequencies and can easily be altered to activate that
capability, such as by moving or removing a jumper
plug or cutting a single wire'' are intended for use
in the CB frequencies as well as the amateur service
and fall within the definition of ``CB
transmitter.''
so what? even if the are "defined" as a cb rig (which by the way they are NOT defined) that doesn't make them illegal. again key word is CERTIFICATED.

if ya wanna quote the AMERICAN FCC,try this quote:
"The FCC’s Office of Engineer and Technology (OET) has evaluated the devices listed below and has concluded that these devices are not amateur transceivers :

COBRA - model: 200 GTL DX
CONNEX - models: 3300, 3300 HP, 3300HP-ZX, 3300 PLUS, CX-3800, 4300 HP, 4300 HP 300, 4400, 4400 HP, 4600 Turbo, 4800 DXL, 4800 HPE, Deer Hunter, General Lee, General Washington
EAGLE - models: 2000 (same radio as the Saturn) and 5000 (same radio as the Saturn Turbo).
GALAXY - models: 33HML, 44V, 45MP, 48T, 55, 55V, 66V, 73V, 77, 77HML, 88HL, 93T, 95T, 99V, 2517, 2527, 2547, Melaka, Saturn and Saturn Turbo
GENERAL - General Jackson, Grant, Stonewall Jackson, Lee, Washington, A.P. Hill, Longstreet, Sherman
MAGNUM - models: 257, 357DX, Alpha force, Delta Force, Mini, Omega Force,S3, S3RF, S6, S9,
MIRAGE - models: 33HP, 44, 88, 99, 2950, 2950EX, 2970, 6600, 88H/L, 9900,
NORTH STAR - models: NS-3000 and NS-9000
PRESIDENT - models: Grant, J.F.K., Jackson, Lincoln, HR-2510 and HR-2600
PRO STAR - model: 240
RANGER / RCI - models: AR-3500, RCI-2900, RCI-2950, RCI-2950-DX, RCI-2970, RCI-2970-DX, RCI-2980-WX, RCI-2985-DX, RCI-2995-DX, RCI-6300, RCI-6300 Turbo, RCI-6300F-25, RCI-6300F-150, RCI-6900, RCI-6900 Turbo, RCI-6900F-25, RCI-6900F-150, RG-99, Voyage VR-9000
STRYKER - model: 440
SUPERSTAR - model: 121, 122, 36, 3700, 3900, 3900HP, 3900 American Spirit, 3900 HP G, 3900 Gold, 3900GHPA, 3900GHPM, 4800, Grant
TEK - model: HR-3950
UNIDEN - models: HR-2510 and HR-2600
VIRAGE - model: 3300, 3300 HP, VX-38, VX-39, "

oh, and i almost forgot,........ "... thats nothing new because america like many other countries was built on corruption."

jazzsinger,
How would you restructure, or reword the rules so that they would be acceptable to you? How would you 'level the playing field' so that some companies wouldn't have an advantage over other companies? Assume that the same 'standards' as required now would still be required, signal purity, etc, etc.
- 'Doc

oh, and i almost forgot,........ "... thats nothing new because america like many other countries was built on corruption."

you can STFU

i'm assuming you don't agree with that,lol,virtually every country in the western hemisphere and probably the world is riddled with corruption,mine included.

why not just say what you mean instead of using initials?

jazzsinger,
How would you restructure, or reword the rules so that they would be acceptable to you? How would you 'level the playing field' so that some companies wouldn't have an advantage over other companies? Assume that the same 'standards' as required now would still be required, signal purity, etc, etc.
- 'Doc

first off i'd make 26-28 mhz all mode legal for all citizens with a 100w pep power output,because its long overdue.

i'd do away with stupid rules like distance limits that are a joke,

i'd then ensure ham gear couldn't be purchased without production of a license,

i'd then ensure the ham exam was of a standard where people had to have a clue what they were doing technically,which at the moment both here and in the states is far from the case.

then i'd ensure any radio capable of transmitting outside its intended market was stopped at customs and destroyed no matter who made it.

most importantly of all i'd fire anyone in the fcc or uk equivalent who is an amateur or cb'er as they have a severe conflict of interest.(could you imagine bank robbers policing law enforcement or terrorists policing the military,a bit like hams policing the airwaves)

i'd make sure no radio could be sold by anybody without rigorous testing to ensure it met with emc compatibility.that would stop backhanders allowing certain companies or individuals having an unfair advantage.

first off i'd make 26-28 mhz all mode legal for all citizens with a 100w pep power output,because its long overdue.

Yes

i'd do away with stupid rules like distance limits that are a joke,

Yes

i'd then ensure ham gear couldn't be purchased without production of a license,
Yes

i'd then ensure the ham exam was of a standard where people had to have a clue what they were doing technically,which at the moment both here and in the states is far from the case.
Hell yes

then i'd ensure any radio capable of transmitting outside its intended market was stopped at customs and destroyed no matter who made it.
Because it's the law already

most importantly of all i'd fire anyone in the fcc or uk equivalent who is an amateur or cb'er as they have a severe conflict of interest.(could you imagine bank robbers policing law enforcement or terrorists policing the military,a bit like hams policing the airwaves)
I know the people pictured are out of commission but still fit the description of what Jazz is talking about.
hasan2003a.jpg
k4zdhrileyhollingsworth.jpg

i'd make sure no radio could be sold by anybody without rigorous testing to ensure it met with emc compatibility.that would stop backhanders allowing certain companies or individuals having an unfair advantage.
Yes

The AVERAGE CB'er Won't, Don't, Can't drop $1000.00+ on a "cb" radio. That makes it kinda self controlling.

And, what's your point, anyway?

the average cb'er wouldn't think twice about spending that on modifiable ham gear,i take it you ain't listened on 11m,because the average cb'er nowadays uses the exact same or better equipment than your average ham.

my point is hypocrisy and double standards:

"just because a radio can be modified doesn't mean it will be modified,nearly every superstar,magnum,connex and stryker radio to name but a few is classed as illegal because they can be modified,

yet so can all the big three radios,and you still fail to see the hypocrisy,or maybe you don't want to see it because if it were a level playing field hams would need to build their own and due to the dumbing down of the ham test that would put considerable numbers off them off air."

Can't help wondering how many of Mr Hollingsworths transceivers in that photo are very easily converted for 11 or 45m operation,guess thats why he don't want kenwood,icoms or yaesu's banned.

give me 30 mins in there with a soldering iron and a screwdriver and that would be a pirates dream station.

jazzsinger,
I had two purposes in asking you about how you would restructure things, 'level the playing field'. You've answered both of those, thank you.

I can see that we aren't going to agree on what might be an equitable solution to the so called 'problem' we have in this country. I think I'll leave it at that.
- 'Doc

And the very simple answer to the original question is, that they follow the rules established by the authority.
You can not 'correct' anything by not following the rules. If you want to do any 'correcting', then change the rules. There are established ways of doing that which do not break other rules. Can you show me any practical and legitimate reason for not doing it that way?
- 'Doc

jazzsinger,
I had two purposes in asking you about how you would restructure things, 'level the playing field'. You've answered both of those, thank you.

I can see that we aren't going to agree on what might be an equitable solution to the so called 'problem' we have in this country. I think I'll leave it at that.
- 'Doc

Doc,

i'm curious to know how you would tackle the problem,obviously i don't expect you to agree with all or any of my views,but i think we agree on the fact it is a problem and there is a double standard.

You have as much right to your opinion as i and anyone else has,i've answered you as honestly as i can,hopefully without being pro cb or anti ham,just realistic.As you know the rules pretty much suck which is exacly why the fcc have failed in court against ranger rci,even fcc officials admit they got it wrong legalising AM on 27 mhz due to its inherent problems with rfi.In a country as large as yours they will never be able to enforce 90% or more of their rules,and like prohibition if you make something illegal it just becomes more attractive to people,which i think you will agree on.

the thing about rules is they are generally made to advantage some and disadvantage others,in the process causing the division in the community you see today,which may make it easier to govern but it causes a hell of a lot more problems than it solves.

here in the uk the government legislated for hams with little or no technical skills to operate ssb on 10m,yet deny cb'ers that right quoting a very tired argument that it causes interference,anyone with half a brain can see clearly that argument is bogus as 10m ssb is just as prone to rfi as 11m ssb,and as the people who have been granted it lack the technical know how in most cases to prevent it its absurd.On that point i'm sure you'll also agree.

I'm not a ham,by choice (i believe rightly or wrongly radio is a gift from nature and no-one has a right to control it or profit from it),but even i can see the dumbing down of ham radio entrance exams has done nothing to enhance your hobby,infact if i was the suspicious type which i am i would think there was method in their madness and that they have sown the seeds of destruction for ham radio in the future,lets face it many of the ham bands are on prime spectrum which is highly sellable,and they know it.let the morons loose to drive the users off who would stand against them if they tried that and within a decade or so they will have no-one to stop them selling off those frequencies.

they have already done the same to cb here by allowing the god squad to transmit their narrowminded transmission on 27 mhz here under the name of cads,then deregulated cb so they don't have to take any responsibility to the chaos that will ultimately ensure.

despite what some may think i don't have a grudge against ham radio,most of my friends are hams and much of the help i give is too hams,but i do have a major issue with hypocrisy and double standards.

while people with a conflict of interest are running our respective hobbies there can only be dark times ahead,that is the root cause of most of the problems.

I'll tell you what really pisses me off,27 years ago i was busted for running illegal ssb radios and power amplifiers by the then guardians of the spectrum the GPO,who later went on to become British Telecom,the irony is British Telecom are now one of the biggest hf spectrum polluters in the UK with their plt (power line telecommunications) technology that was never tested in the uk,they went on results from germany that would never have passed emc conditions here.

i find it highly ironic the former guardians of the hf spectrum are now ripping it apart.yet they had the audacity to bust me for causing minor rfi.i've learned loads since on preventing/curing rfi these people have learned nothing and the now powers that be ofcom are letting them do it despite massive kick up from both the ham and cb communities and now also the civil aviation authority,it just goes to show how corrupt our spectrum watchdogs really are when big business can bribe them to turn a blind eye,so for me rules mean sh!t.

Hey Jazzy,

I do agree with a couple of your proposed fixes in some ways, such as stricter rules regarding sales of REAL ham gear and improved testing requirements for a ham license.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?