• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why dont I see much love for the RANGER RCH 618

Well welcome to the back of the Ranger boat. I’ll sit here with you and feel the sorrow and sadness with you.

Occasionally they show up on eBay but it’s not very often.

Yes seems a bit odd that they didn't catch on in big numbers, so many good things about them but I suspect that people couldn't get over the image of a mobile in a base body but the interface to the screen and controls looks like a seriously user friendly system and lets face it the mobile boards they used are probably the best that Ranger ever did.

I suppose another nail in the coffin is that the icom 718 is similarly priced and if you had to balance it up most would opt for the icom.

Yeahs if the price is similar the Icom would be the way to go. Most all base radios are nothing but a mobile inside a big housing with a power supply built in. They suffer the same problems and issues that the mobiles do because that’s all they are, a mobile.

This radio, I don’t know a lot about it, never seen on in person.

1st picture I ever saw on it, of coarse I never really looked to see any thing about it. bells says it is a 2950DX with a power supply. just looks like they added functions to the face. would have been a decent radio since it is the 2950DX chassis.
not sure why it did not take off as a new base. price at Bells was not too bad for 500.00.
it would have been cheaper other places.

It’s about 8 years old I believe. I don’t recall seeing it either but I’d have bought one if I did, touch screen is cool.

Just didn't catch on in big numbers because of:

1) High Price
2) Fact that too many CB'ers cry that it's "too much radio for them" - too complicated. "I never use sideband and if it has more that than a volume knob and roger beep button then it's more radio than I know what to do with" :eek:

Reactions: Staybolt
What I like about it is the scanning and memory functions, looking at the CB radio Magazine you tube video review it just looks so simple to use.

Ranger certainly put a lot of effort into the face panel to radio hardware interface and ended up with a very intuitive radio maybe even better than the icom equivalent. Though I have seen some comment on the web that the software might have been a bit buggy.

I like mine quite a bit ! Unique in that you can touch screen and do alot of the options. Something different that still functions well and is attractive while using is a plus in my book any day !

73's

Would be interesting to know how many were made and sold, I suspect very few judging by the almost total lack of internet discussion of these and the almost complete absence in the 2nd hand market if I were to guess a hundred or so at most.

Ranger certainly put a lot of effort into the face panel to radio hardware interface and ended up with a very intuitive radio maybe even better than the icom equivalent.
Ahh no! Now understand I have not seen one in person but that face panel looks to be a total nightmare. The display is very hard to read, to many "gimicks" on the visuals and does not appear intutive.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.