• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilkinson Divider / Combiner

blue runner

Jul 8, 2012
Anyone have any experience with the Wilkinson Divider / Combiner?

It seem that one divider could be used to drive two linears with one radio and then combine both amplifier outputs with another one to feed the combined power to the antenna.

A few lengths of scrap coax, two resistors and its done.

It seems too cheap and easy not to be widely done which makes me apprehensive.

You should be apprehensive because it's just not that simple. It deals with 'timing' or phasing which is controlled by those lengths of feed line and by synchronizing the start/stop timing of the amplifiers. It certainly can be done. But it's not exactly as 'simple' as it sounds. Using two amplifier is a sort of 'make-do' thingy because you can't afford a more powerful single amplifier. It's much simpler/easier to get a bigger amplifier than to combine two or more cheaper amplifiers. Terrible way of saying it, but it amounts to that...
- 'Doc

Last edited:
i have seen amps that ( davemade dave ) combined with coax years ago as you describe, that is not how he does it now afaik but it can be done.

I ordered TWO co-phase harnesses offa Ebay (cheaper than I can make 'em myself).

I will check them for the proper 1/4 wave length and try it with two 100 watt amps.

I wonder just how much smoke can you get outta 100 watt amp? Might find out if things go wrong.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.