• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will a Connex 4600 Turbo

Rescue

Dec 15, 2017
TX
will my 4600 Turbo drive a Texas Star 667V? Will the 667V be as loud Audio wise as the TX sweet 16? If I don't care about shooting skip just monster audio?

I think you would want the dx500. Same amp, but without the driver. Still have to turn it down for the dx500 though.

Neither amp will affect audio, just signal strength. Signal strength won't be extremely different between a 4 pill and the sweet 16. Really not worth the money and headache of the sweet 16

I was driving my dx500 with 4 watts swinging 14, and I'd get 300 to 350 pep out of it. The 667 needs around a 1 watt dead key, and not much swing.

It looks like that 4600 puts out over 150 watts? Just about need the sweet 16 to see much signal increase over the radio. It's a tough game wanting more power.

will my 4600 Turbo drive a Texas Star 667V? Will the 667V be as loud Audio wise as the TX sweet 16? If I don't care about shooting skip just monster audio?
NO! not unless you want to release the 10 ohm smoke genie.... Too much radio for that box because of the driver stage...

The 4600 is probably too much radio for the DX500 too...smallest amp I would run behind that radio is maybe a straight-6-pill or straight 8-pill...

This is why I said I'm not a fan of the larger radios...

Reactions: Robb and Rescue
Connex 4600 Turbo is a big radio to start with. Putting an amp behind it is just begging for trouble? In another thread did you not say you got busted already by the FCC?
Modulation is what gets you heard. Go asymmetrical modulation and you will be heard.

the sweet 16 is the amp you want with that radio.

you will be able to drive it sufficiently without saturating the power transistors like you would in any of the smaller texas star amps.
LC

Reactions: Rescue
The most-general rule for amplifiers made with the typical RF transistors used in Texas Star amplifiers is four-to-one.

The 667V has one transistor driving four.

Your radio has the equivalent (more or less) of a 2-transistor amplifier in it already. The smallest size that will fall under this rule would be an eight-transistor amplifier.

Like the one they recommended.

Not everyone follows the four-to-one rule, from one amplifier driving into the next one. But it's a starting point. Putting an amplifier that's too small behind a radio that's too big just won't work like you want it to.

NO! not unless you want to release the 10 ohm smoke genie.... Too much radio for that box because of the driver stage...

The 4600 is probably too much radio for the DX500 too...smallest amp I would run behind that radio is maybe a straight-6-pill or straight 8-pill...

This is why I said I'm not a fan of the larger radios...
Im running a
Well I'm running a connection 4600 turbo in my big rig ok. Im swinging just under 300w with just my radio. I had a high quality modulation kit added but a tech that knows what he is doing, he also inhanced my talk back so it's louder. Set your radio as follows. Set your carrier at 20% of your peak power, set your dead key at 40w. Example my radio is swinging 300w 300x .20=60w if you set your radio like this you won't need kickers or amps or anything it'll be plenty loud n you'll get plenty of range trust me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated