• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WILL A LITTLE WIL TUNE FOR 2 METER

KJ4BAE

Aug 14, 2008
I have a wilson little wil antenna sitting around doing nothing and would like to know if i can use it on my FT-2800.

Can it be done? Yes. Would it be worth the effort? Not to me, but maybe to you? What the @#$$ does that mean? It means that I'd find it a lot easier to just make a 2 meter antenna than to modify that antenna. I'd let it just sit there, it ain't eating 'nuthing, what's it hurting? document every tiny step in the process, make notes on your thinking processes, take pictures (not of you thinking, but of what you do to the antenna!), publish it. What, me do it? Are you crazy? I'm too lazy...
- 'Doc

Can it be done? Yes. Would it be worth the effort? Not to me, but maybe to you? What the @#$$ does that mean? It means that I'd find it a lot easier to just make a 2 meter antenna than to modify that antenna. I'd let it just sit there, it ain't eating 'nuthing, what's it hurting? document every tiny step in the process, make notes on your thinking processes, take pictures (not of you thinking, but of what you do to the antenna!), publish it. What, me do it? Are you crazy? I'm too lazy...
- 'Doc

LOL :confused:

agreed, doc , lets reinvent the wheel while we're at it

WHY !!!!!

If you get the energy and figure it out, please let us know what you did! That antenna has a capacitor inside with the coil to get it to tune up at 27mhz. Have fun! :)

After thinking about it and re-reading my post, I get the feeling I gave the impression that it couldn't be done, or that it might not really be worth the effort, which isn't really true at all. So thought aboutit some more and think that it wouldn't be all that difficult to do. You've got two choices, sort of.
Choice one is the simplest. Get inside that coil at the base of the antenna and do away with it all, short if out completely, center conductor of the feed line to the whip. Measure up from that point about 2 foot, cut the antenna off there. The ending length is going to be a lot closeer to 19" than 24", but having some 'play with' length to start with never hurts. Trim whip to lowest SWR. Quit.
The second choice is a bit more complicated. Get inside of the matching coil/cap compartment and do some remove the capacitor. That should leave the 'coil' going from center feed line to the whip. (No idea what the size of that coil is so lots of 'wiggle room' in this part.) The idea is to turn the coil into an inductive shunt to 'tune' the antenna. Straight from the center feed line, to the coil, to the whip, AND a variable tap on that coil going straight to the braid, or ground. The difficult part, rather than just the repetitive part, is making the mechanical and electrical connections to that coil.
That second choice means you end up with a random length, inductively fed, shunted 2 meter antenna. The coil between the feed line and ground, and a portion of the coil between that tap point and the whip is the shunt feeding part. The rest of that coil between the the portion already described, is a loading coil to make the whip some electrical length. No idea what that electrical length will be, certainly nothing close to 1/2, or 5/8 wave antenna, maybe. Mainly cuz I don't know the size of that coil in there, or the length of the whip. Also have no way to guess how effective the resulting antenna will be, how good it works. But it will work.
The other side of that is that I already have a very effective 2 meter antenna and don't have a need for another one. I also don't have a 'Litl-Wil' which also isn't something I need at present. And being naturally cheap and lazy, I'll let you do the 'work' part and I'll just supply the 'Einstein' part. (Gotta remember that one!)
- 'Doc

And because I didn't think about it till after posting, this part that I should have said before.

It might be easier to do the hard choice first. That way, if you really 'booger' things up, you still have the option of just turning it into a 1/4 wave antenna (the 19" thingy). In that 'harder' choice you don't cut off the whip, just change the matching part of the antenna. In the easy choice, you do away with the matching parts and just 'whack' the whip. (Oh my! That 'whip-whacker' certainly does have possible 'implication' possibilities, doesn't it? I ain't going there though!) One way or the other, you've turned that CB antenna into a 2 meter antenna. Your choice...

Ther is an obvious alternative that can be considered.
You can trade someone here for it for a 2m antenna - with a little cash to sweeten the deal and not hack up anything as nice as a little Will up.

OR
You can have fun with it!
The 'Buzzsaw' - 'Buzz444' talkin at ya.

Wilson makes a 2 meter antenna that looks just like the Lil Wil,and from what I have heard,it is a nice antenna

Yes, it is a nice antenna. And we're giving one away in a couple of days...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.