• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will a texas star dx 500 damage a new computer controlled car?

It depends entirely on how you install the antenna. If you use a fixed mount in the middle of the roof and do plenty of bonding then it shouldn't be an issue. Use a magmount or a lip mount on the tailgate/trunk and you're leaving yourself wide open to problems.

Its common mode RFI on the coax which gets into the radio and then onto the power lines due to poor RF grounding in an attempt to make up the "missing half of the antenna" that causes the issue.

Reactions: wheelman918
It depends entirely on how you install the antenna. If you use a fixed mount in the middle of the roof and do plenty of bonding then it shouldn't be an issue. Use a magmount or a lip mount on the tailgate/trunk and you're leaving yourself wide open to problems.

Its common mode RFI on the coax which gets into the radio and then onto the power lines due to poor RF grounding in an attempt to make up the "missing half of the antenna" that causes the issue.
i actually like the magnet mount wilson but im ocd about grounding the chassis of the radio and amp with 10ga wire good high 95% sheild jumpers and all, a 1.3 swr drives me nuts i like flat to very little wiggle lol

It will either destroy it or do nothing.
i had a turd car it was pretty new then a 92 dodge dynasty this was 94, that amp would seriously kick the windshield wipers on and the rf i believe messed with the 02 sensor maf sensor and white smoke would come out of the exhaust and if you were a story teller there would be so much smoke you couldnt see the car! then a sudden electronic controlled transmission pooped out. As a 30 plus year veteran automotive professional now i look back and i know a dx 500 did murder a dodge dynasty lol

Low voltage will also fry your computer. That amp probably draws at least 40 amps at peak power, maybe more. That's a pretty big drain on an electrical system. If your lights start to dim while you got the amp cranked up, time to upgrade some parts or ditch the amp.:)

Low voltage will also fry your computer. That amp probably draws at least 40 amps at peak power, maybe more. That's a pretty big drain on an electrical system. If your lights start to dim while you got the amp cranked up, time to upgrade some parts or ditch the amp.:)
yes it will i have another amp in an off road truck it has a single optima red top they are strong a dx 350 hits it pretty hard, A 9,000 lb winch hits it less lol

Reactions: Sideways
I have seen 25 watts shut down an ecu on the motorway. All though it didn't do any permanent damage the car didn't start again until you turned it off at the key for a few minutes. Install it correctly and test at low power first and gradually ramp up the power. Good luck

Wheelman,

MOGVZ hit the nail on the head. You can't do too much bonding. I had the same concern with a Chevy truck and running an amp. SO, I spent about 2 months running bond straps to everything and making sure everything was properly grounded. I have been running a Ranger 2970N2 driving a TS Sweet 16 for over a year now with no issues at all. I never run the amp up and over about 1kw though.

Good luck.

Wheelman,

MOGVZ hit the nail on the head. You can't do too much bonding. I had the same concern with a Chevy truck and running an amp. SO, I spent about 2 months running bond straps to everything and making sure everything was properly grounded. I have been running a Ranger 2970N2 driving a TS Sweet 16 for over a year now with no issues at all. I never run the amp up and over about 1kw though.

Good luck.
this truck dont have a stock computer its a stand alone aftermarket probably not as withstanding as a factory

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated