• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will cb radios ever reach the popularity it did in the 70's and 80's

Will it ever reach the same levels of people on the air as the 70's....no. Thank goodness. Even in the early 90's it was still a mess on the air, people and noisemakers on every channel (at least in the big city I lived in at the time). It's quiet on the CB around here nowadays, but local ham radio in our area is also just as quiet.

The truth is that people aren't that into CB/Ham like they used to be and the younger generation especially isn't into it. They are too busy playing with their phones and sending text messages to their friend sitting 5 feet away. Whenever I go to the local ham radio club get together or the ham swap meets it's like going to a WWII veterans reunion.

BUT as much as people will say CB radio has dwindled you have to keep in mind that there are 15 million trucks that operate in the U.S. and 2 million tractor trailers. If only 1/4 of just the tractor trailers had CB radios that's still 500,000 CB radios in trucks ready to talk. Add in the hobby market, 4 x 4's, RV's etc and there's at least another 250,000 (conservatively) users out there. That's just in the United States :)

There are about 700,000 ham radio operators in the U.S. I'd venture to say there are just as many CB radio's in peoples cars and homes still as there are ham radios (keep in mind the 700,000 are just people who are licensed which doesn't necessarily mean they are talking).

I think anytime you have 100,000+ people using a CB radio that puts it far from extinct :)

Both my youtube videos and website have each had over a million visitors. I think it's safe to say there are still a lot of people interested in the hobby, especially when the DX starts rolling and I can hear 100's of different stations calling out at any given time. :)

Maybe if CB radios stopped looking like this:
Browning_Baron__Sabre_1.jpg

And more like this:
3350lrg.jpg

bc1509ef.jpg

CB radio popularity

I live in the S.E. Pa area and I tell you...theres alot of people on the air around here. Ive sold 4 radios in the past few months. I know about 10 people that I talk to on the local channels that have base stations. I can always get someone on the air. I am right by the Pa turnpike and close to Philadelphia. Alot of SSB on 37 and 38 too. Ive also got 2 new people started in CB. I know a couple guys who know a little about fixing and modding radios too. I still get questions " whats that antenna for"? are you a cop? I see alot of cars with CB antennas too, Its a great hobby and fun.

It's still fairly active in NW Arizona. A number of old timers for of course but there are also younger people on.

When the band opens up there is plenty of activity.

That's a good thing because I'd be mighty upset if, after waiting all this time and spending all that money there wasn't anyone to talk to!

As a REDKNECK From Alabama, and not the cities but the back woods, were I have to drive to get to a store, (such as Wal-Mart), down a State highway, I am seeing more and more antennas on vehicles and hearing more on the radio giving 'bear reports, I think that the C.B. will make a bit of a come-back. But there will always be those who are prejudice and those who have the power to dead key others, as for the foul language, two people on the radio will cause that. If we as the minority/majority "holders of the airways" Monitor and POLITELY point out these issues to others getting on the air about the foul words, I think we can keep the F.C.C. down to a minimum. Also With a dead keyed mike one can affectively block some other that miss use as well.
I by no means support 1 wrong correcting another, but as a father of two children of long spanned age group I do have a desire for polite use of the radio, yet I understand the truth as well, in that case my children and I discuss the fact that those whom use foul language, or demeaning comments are not intelligent enough to do better.

As a REDKNECK From Alabama, and not the cities but the back woods, were I have to drive to get to a store, (such as Wal-Mart), down a State highway, I am seeing more and more antennas on vehicles and hearing more on the radio giving 'bear reports, I think that the C.B. will make a bit of a come-back. But there will always be those who are prejudice and those who have the power to dead key others, as for the foul language, two people on the radio will cause that. If we as the minority/majority "holders of the airways" Monitor and POLITELY point out these issues to others getting on the air about the foul words, I think we can keep the F.C.C. down to a minimum. Also With a dead keyed mike one can affectively block some other that miss use as well.
I by no means support 1 wrong correcting another, but as a father of two children of long spanned age group I do have a desire for polite use of the radio, yet I understand the truth as well, in that case my children and I discuss the fact that those whom use foul language, or demeaning comments are not intelligent enough to do better.
You are a candidate for SSB if you think that way about radio - IMO. SSBers tend to take radio a bit more seriously and are a bit less childish. I know guys that do that 'H&D thing' ('hell and destruction', 'hate and discontent', etc) on AM; but I do not contribute to it. There is a choice, and the SSB crowd may be more to your liking. I recommend a SSB radio if you don't have one already. DX is much better too. Lotsa guys on SSB, talk to them all of the time from here in CA into your area when conditions are in.

AM may very well be more popular 'mode' at this time; but SSB is growing rapidly and becoming more popular every day because of the very reasons you cited above.
;)

Reactions: 1 person
i doubt i would call it freedom. now that iv managed to make good friends with ham's. many of them frown on CB "and we all know why". and i dont think CB is going anywhere, why we have had millions of people during conditions the last few days + Mexico alone use CB, maybe it's because I'm in Cali....:laugh:
i enjoy CB, its all colors of people, personality's. i also enjoy HAM. so, i my self donot think CB radio is going anywhere. Honestly tho i think the whole HAM ticket thing is just to control us like sheep. got into it with a local about getting on 147.435 and yelling the all mighty "Squash" only to be told id be back out with my crack out and hams all up on me. its nothing special to pass a test a st0ned monkey could pass....:blushing:

CB Radio kicks ass!(y)

Yep.....fema and Homeland security nazis are already wanting to have the power to use hams.

A ham friend told me that a repeater out in LA would make the worst CBer blush....then you have a lot of tech snobs in ham radio...then you have a lot of old gents that are really nice guys. :)

maybe the general population might be seeing a decline in cb radios, but for the really serious about it, the numbers might remain the same.

at least here locally, back in the 1980s, everyone had a pretty good shot at being heard on the 11 channel. some guys had power, some guys had lots of power (relatively speaking) but everyone sort of co-existed and waited for breaks, didn't step on people just because they could, etc...

when i took a break and got back into it in the late 1990's, it was totally different. everyone and their cousin had at least a small box, ch 11 was just a shouting contest to see who could be heard, and everyone was running power just to step on other people to get heard.

now, the only real serious people left are the old-timers with big amps and lots of power. the rest are recent immigrants to the state that use their radios and amps to try and talk skip to their home islands so they don't have to use telephones. unfortunately, they take up whatever channel they want (including ch9) and don't speak english or read very well, so they don't know and don't care about rules and etiquette.

that, and i don't want my kid hearing some of the foul language still going on over the radio..

is no different than the language they hear at school, on compact discs, the tv,.
the only advantage of the cb radio is , you have the control of shutting it down!

the internet has taken its toll on the cb with forums that are geared toward the radio, hell android phones have an app to let you talk accross country via the phone to a transmitter anywhere around the world .

and the internet forums have taken a back seat to social groups such as facebook & google plus .
yes we can all complain about what and why cb is dying out but untill you keyup and say damn the torpedoes it will continue its downward spiral.
back in the days ya all didnt run from the language you stood your ground, you defended your right to participate on the frequencies ! now days
you sit on the fence whining and belly aching about who should and why on a internet forum, instead of keying up and taking a stand for one of america's recent past times that is rewarding and fun!

it also bothers me that some will bitch and moan about the quality of the conversations ( foul language) yet conduct themselves in far worse conversations in taverns , work places etc etc.

Reactions: 1 person
maybe the general population might be seeing a decline in cb radios, but for the really serious about it, the numbers might remain the same.

at least here locally, back in the 1980s, everyone had a pretty good shot at being heard on the 11 channel. some guys had power, some guys had lots of power (relatively speaking) but everyone sort of co-existed and waited for breaks, didn't step on people just because they could, etc...

when i took a break and got back into it in the late 1990's, it was totally different. everyone and their cousin had at least a small box, ch 11 was just a shouting contest to see who could be heard, and everyone was running power just to step on other people to get heard.

now, the only real serious people left are the old-timers with big amps and lots of power. the rest are recent immigrants to the state that use their radios and amps to try and talk skip to their home islands so they don't have to use telephones. unfortunately, they take up whatever channel they want (including ch9) and don't speak english or read very well, so they don't know and don't care about rules and etiquette.

its very relaxing after a long crap-O-la day @ work, to get on 11AM or 28AM or where every and jive people lil bit. its what makes it fun foe ten?(y) true the language is a little down south but hey thats okay u dont like it you turn that dial cotten pikka.... you dig? dont forget 147.435 is a ham band and all kinds of chaos roll up there every ten min or less......:laugh: im sorta new to dis radio world and i dig every min of it. dig in or get the "beep" out
73s

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.