• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will cb radios ever reach the popularity it did in the 70's and 80's

They say fads go around in circles with that said does anybody think that the cb craze we saw in the 70's and 80's will ever return to those heights?? Or has newer technology like cell phones and the internet stopped it from reaching those heights again. I would luv to see cb radio reach that popularity again before I die dam I miss those days.:sad::sad:

Not gonna happen... Even many truck drivers don't use CB. On board computers, cell phones, GPS.

Why listen to all the cussing, jamming, and other BS? Drivers that have CBs are hassled by locals wanting to get their jollies... or "skip shooters" jamming channel 19.

For us non-drivers, why use a CB with all the noise, skip, and cussing around the wife and kids, when we can use other, more civilized forms of radio communication, such as eXRS, where no one can find us and jam us.

I've got a CB. not a lot of activity in the Big City I live in. I hear a few folks now and then and have a good chat on AM and SSB.

I remember the old days too, with the coffee breaks.

Reactions: 1 person
Not gonna happen... Even many truck drivers don't use CB. On board computers, cell phones, GPS.
Nope; they use all of the tools at their disposal. Including and especially CBs. Why? Because they don't know the cell phone number of the truck that just passed them by. Or they need to talk to someone that is up ahead for road conditions. Or someone needs to talk to them because they are ahead. Or going the other direction. Or passing the time keeping up with many friends at the same time. You cannot do those things with a cell phone and you still can with a CB. The CB is an indispensable tool that still has a future. A lot of these guys/gals only get to catch up on each other when they are within range. When they do, it is like the link that makes it happen and the one they use to reach out. Seen and heard it time and again.

There was always a trucker around me with his/her CB on over the last four years of driving cross country. Can't even imagine taking a long drive like that without one. Starting up a qso when the terrain got a bit boring becomes a necessity too. Funny stuff, crazy stuff, home stuff, and helpful stuff. Any old stuff. That is unthinkable to consider that would stop. Probably only when there is no more fuel for a truck to run on - can that happen. The truckers share the road with me have been helpful to me, as well as me being helpful in return.

They call their boss, wives, girlfriends, or children with a cell phone. But they make their bones and their living with the CB.
Anywhere, USA.
:blink:

Last edited:
Nope; they use all of the tools at their disposal. Including and especially CBs. Why? Because they don't know the cell phone number of the truck that just passed them by. Or they need to talk to someone that is up ahead for road conditions. Or someone needs to talk to them because they are ahead. Or going the other direction. Or passing the time keeping up with many friends at the same time. You cannot do those things with a cell phone and you still can with a CB. The CB is an indispensable tool that still has a future. A lot of these guys/gals only get to catch up on each other when they are within range. When they do, it is like the link that makes it happen and the one they use to reach out. Seen and heard it time and again.

There was always a trucker around me with his/her CB on over the last four years of driving cross country. Can't even imagine taking a long drive like that without one. Starting up a qso when the terrain got a bit boring becomes a necessity too. Funny stuff, crazy stuff, home stuff, and helpful stuff. Any old stuff. That is unthinkable to consider that would stop. Probably only when there is no more fuel for a truck to run on - can that happen. The truckers share the road with me have been helpful to me, as well as me being helpful in return.

They call their boss, wives, girlfriends, or children with a cell phone. But they make their bones and their living with the CB.
Anywhere, USA.
:blink:

Probably more CBs now than there was back then....more truckers on the road......I always assist when a trucker is in town looking for a factory....GPS don't always work.....roadwork and bridges under construction in this city got them all lost and turned around.....I direct them right to the loading docks.....I standby on 18 and lots of the truckers have made friends with the local bases....it usually starts out with "Hey...yer bleedin 19" then everytime they are coming by out on the interstate they come down to 18 and talk until they are out of range...CB helps pass the time....I remember last winter when we had a bad snow storm.....CBers were giving directions to the high school which had been made a emergency shelter for people who were stranded on the interstate....some were going out in 4x4s and helping those that were stranded....yep...cb will always be around. :)

They say fads go around in circles with that said does anybody think that the cb craze we saw in the 70's and 80's will ever return to those heights?? Or has newer technology like cell phones and the internet stopped it from reaching those heights again. I would luv to see cb radio reach that popularity again before I die dam I miss those days.:sad::sad:

Yea...I think the fad thing doesn't apply to CB radio.

cb could become very popular again if cell phones and the internet evaporated and the sunspots stop. Otherwise nah.

I don't think it will make a comeback. Communication technology has evolved and CB radio has not. All of the interference, noise, hash....plus people keying up on top of each other, the use of splattering radio equipment...I think has driven most people from even wanting to use it. Probably the biggest user of CB are truck drivers, and even some of them are not turning on their radios anymore because they do not want to hear how uncivilized the band has become.

My own personal take is based on the fact that the 11-meter CB has always treated me well. I started out on AM back in 1976 or so and quickly discovered that SSB was the way to go. It eventually became my path to both my FCC GROL and ham ticket. I never really encountered the hordes of lids that so many others bemoan. Just luck I suppose, however, there may also be another explanation. 11-meters/CB, like amateur radio, or any other avocation, for that matter, is just a microcosm of society at large. I knew what type of comms I wanted to engage in and moved within those circles. That's why I could be found on Ch. 38 USB as opposed to Ch. 6. Likewise, that's why I can now be found on the bottom of 10, 12, 15, 30, 40, & 80 as opposed to 75. While a stock TX Uniden Grant XL still resides in my shack, I am no longer active OTA. It is, however, still a good resource to have available nonetheless.

Has 11-meters/CB lost popularity among the mainstream population? Sure, it has, however, it has evolved into a form of hobby radio, much to the dismay of some. For others, it remains a fun diversion from life's daily grind. I, for one, don't have any problem with that, as long as the rules & regs re. pwr. o/p and freq. allocations are adhered to. That being said, I NEVER paint an entire group of folks with a wide brush, but rather always on a case by case basis. Conduct yourself like a gentleman, then that's what you are. Act like a lid, then you're a lid.

There will always be a cult following with regard to 11-meters/CB radio. Just performing a Google search of the larger DX groups will bear that out and give one a better perspective re. the global 11-meter community. In that respect, it has actually grown and displayed some amazing staying power. As always, take care es...

Vy 73 de Bert
WA2SI

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Another observation after almost 40 years in radio (25 as a ham) is that 10, 2 and 70cm amateur bands are the new CB radio and I mean that in a good way. I'm talking about the old school CB attitude and days of courtesy and order on the channels.

Todays CB radio is a train wreck and can't even be compared to the few problems there are with amateur radio operators. Most non CB'ers think of CB radios as toys for their kids to play with. My neice and nephew used to have Fisher Price walkie talkies that operated on CH 11. TOYS.

If you want to talk without the BS CB has to offer...get a tech license and have fun.

No manufacturer is ever going to make a serious dedicated CB radio to market in the US. Why would they? The junk manufacturers are making a fortune selling 40 year old CB technology without changing a thing. Except to put the same junk in a prettier case.

I don't think it will make a comeback. Communication technology has evolved and CB radio has not. All of the interference, noise, hash....plus people keying up on top of each other, the use of splattering radio equipment...I think has driven most people from even wanting to use it. Probably the biggest user of CB are truck drivers, and even some of them are not turning on their radios anymore because they do not want to hear how uncivilized the band has become.

the band hasnt become anymore uncivilized, than it did when it was created its the people with in the band!
and contrary to popular belief people on 11 meter thrive on the negativity , just as they do on internet forums ! and tv, if people didnt have something to bitch and complain about they would have to create a mass hysteria
over something - one of the undesirable traits of the human experience one person maybe two people can justify a common ground and have a decent convo. add a 3rd person and the shit will begin as we as a people have been given the right to voice our opinion as an individual and as a group without persecution as a whole !

which as it goes is where the problems stem from ., basicaly saying is if you dont like my opinion the "F@*K you and call it a day !

I never got into the 70s CB jargon....just talked normally.....fact is the rednecks and jerks who could not hold a conversation on the radio so they would just key up on those who could...made me get out of it....still have those types...but nothing like it was back then.

I happen to be 1 of those rednecks from back then, actualy before then from 60s really. and I agree those so called CBers are really a pain, glad we lost alot of them. maybe the Lord will bless us and the jerks today will burn up their trash radios

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.