• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will the FCC ever raise the legal Tx limit?

KF5FUR

Mar 28, 2010
Republic of Texas
Could they, or are there any problems that would arise from that? Even 10 watts would be awesome but 25w would be better. I know that having the proper setup and tuning the mod pot up can get you fairly decent range for 4 watts. But am I the only guy that wants more? I assume, knowing how the FCC works, if they did raise it they may require a licensed call sign system.

Could they, or are there any problems that would arise from that? Even 10 watts would be awesome but 25w would be better. I know that having the proper setup and tuning the mod pot up can get you fairly decent range for 4 watts. But am I the only guy that wants more? I assume, knowing how the FCC works, if they did raise it they may require a licensed call sign system.

They did away with CB licensing in the 70's and they'll never go back. They'll also never increase power levels. The FCC has realized for a long time now that Citizens Band radio is a lost cause for them and they have no desire or manpower to police it unless an offender is causing serious and sustained inteference to a licensed service.

I know this from having had a conversation with a former FCC Special Counsel.

If you need or want more power just do what everyone else does and buy an amp. Simple. Or, since your a ham,move to 10 meters and run more power legally if your worried about being caught.

They did away with CB licensing in the 70's and they'll never go back. They'll also never increase power levels. The FCC has realized for a long time now that Citizens Band radio is a lost cause for them and they have no desire or manpower to police it unless an offender is causing serious and sustained inteference to a licensed service.

I know this from having had a conversation with a former FCC Special Counsel.

If you need or want more power just do what everyone else does and buy an amp. Simple. Or, since your a ham,move to 10 meters and run more power legally if your worried about being caught.

Yep, get an amp and go for it. Just be sensible about it though.

They will not ever increase the power limits because it will create a publicity nightmare with the Ham community. It's far easier to just ignore the band altogether and only deal with complaints.

100% agreement to what has been said already.
Do what you need to do and run a clean station.
If you have your ticket you have a lot of options but do not look for the FCC to do much of anything with the CB band other that look the other way....it simply has become a thorn in the side and they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Jeff
PHP:

well they tried the call sign licensing it worked for a while but that was then,
now days , who cares ? and the wattage ? once again 10, 20 , 25 35 watts ? doesnt matter really most get a radio and wind them up anyhow the rules and laws they have now are virtually impossible to enforce , i personaly dont see the issue , if your not wiping out emergency frequencies what the big deal is , other than some minor infractions if its needed to make the contact , use it! if its not then dont abuse it ! its really quite simple

It's CB radio and the FCC could care less. The difference between 4, 10, or 25 watts is zilch...unless you are driving an amp.

Because people are stupid and would kill themselves.

That's the general theory anyways.

If you want to play around with the airwaves, get your ham ticket. Going over 1.5 kw is a foolish endeavor anyways.

Some jerk-off keyed down and ran a siren for a year a while back....lots of people complained....nothing was done....that should tell you something.....the alphabet guys washed their hands of it....they got more important things to deal with like homeland security than to waste manpower on Joe Bobs big cb radidio. :D

Wow I love this site, so active and speedy replies, thanks all, very informative.
As for the guy that said get my ticket, did you see my user name? lol
I am a Tech class Ham and have dabbled in 2m, that's it, but my main interest is in HF and lower starting with 10m. All the interest in RF, radios, antenna theory and electronics started with my first CB when I was 13. With all that had been said about the FCC and 11 meters, I think I will either tune my radio to 25 watts on is own or leave it at 4 and build a 25-35 watt amp, nothing to hot, 4 watts just bugs the crap outta me. Then again paying $15 to have the mod pot tuned to max and getting the power turned up to 25 watts internally is a lot cheaper and faster, but wouldn't I need a higher amperage fuse in the power line?

Wow I love this site, so active and speedy replies, thanks all, very informative.
I am a Tech class Ham and have dabbled in 2m, that's it, but my main interest is in HF and lower starting with 10m. All the interest in RF, radios, antenna theory and electronics started with my first CB when I was 13. With all that had been said about the FCC and 11 meters, I think I will either tune my radio to 25 watts on is own or leave it at 4 and build a 25-35 watt amp, nothing to hot, 4 watts just bugs the crap outta me. Then again paying $15 to have the mod pot tuned to max and getting the power turned up to 25 watts internally is a lot cheaper and faster, but wouldn't I need a higher amperage fuse in the power line?

Yes I did see your screenname, I meant it as a blanket statement.

One thing you quickly learn with all bands...watts don't get out, antennas do. ;)

Building a 25w amplifier would be a fun project. I advise an external amplifier over internal amplifiers always.

Heat is the death of electronics. Keeping heat away from the receiver, mixer, and other vital circuits is verrryyy important.

I used to be an AKTTR kinda guy (all knobs to the right), however, with experience came wisdom. Mod pot cranked to max is going to sound like absolute butt. Modulation when screaming into the microphone should not exceed 105%, it should average around 85-95% when speaking into the mic at an average volume.

Remember too, double watts = +1 db. 3 db = +1 s-unit

The jump from 5w to 100w is the biggest gain. Next would be 100w to 500w.

2m is not very representative of ham radio. Get yourself an HF rig and throw up a dipole...you'll find yourself in it for the long haul quickly.

You're going to pay someone else $15 to "have the mod pot tuned to max" but going to build your own amp?? :blink:

Buy yourself a good used 10 meter radio like an HTX-100 and start being a ham. I believe that rig is 25 watts on SSB out of the box. Or find an HR2510 or similar if you still want to play around on 11 meter AM. My 2510 does about 35 watts pep on SSB and I think 12 watts AM. that's more than enough to drive a small HD amp.

You're going to pay someone else $15 to "have the mod pot tuned to max" but going to build your own amp?? :blink:

Buy yourself a good used 10 meter radio like an HTX-100 and start being a ham. I believe that rig is 25 watts on SSB out of the box. Or find an HR2510 or similar if you still want to play around on 11 meter AM. My 2510 does about 35 watts pep on SSB and I think 12 watts AM. that's more than enough to drive a small HD amp.

For the $150-$200 for a 2510, it may be worth it to save up to $350-$500 for an FT100, FT857, IC817, etc.

All-band, usually with 2m/70cm as well, all-mode (SSB/AM/CW/FM), as well as a being a properly built amateur transceiver.

Some jerk-off keyed down and ran a siren for a year a while back....lots of people complained....nothing was done....that should tell you something.....the alphabet guys washed their hands of it....they got more important things to deal with like homeland security than to waste manpower on Joe Bobs big cb radidio. :D

that was the infamous Homo Jamie in his U-haul in Oregon,:LOL: he got his ass handed to him recently.

that was the infamous Homo Jamie in his U-haul in Oregon,:LOL: he got his ass handed to him recently.

Good....but this one was in the BC MI. area on 19.....I do not know what kind of radio and amp he used...but I sure would like to have it....must have been a good one to be able to be keyed down that long with that much power and not fry.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.