• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will the FCC ever raise the legal Tx limit?

Will the FCC ever raise the legal TX limit? No. They don't need to. CB has been the "outlaw" band for over 25 years now. It's now "authorized by rule". So even though it's not legal to run more than 4 watts of power, most everyone does and nothing is done about it. Sort of like those who do 50 mph in a 30 mph zone yet the cop sitting there does nothing. The FCC pretty much washed their hands of trying to maintain 11 meters years ago. They're not going to "up" the output power any. But they might react if a complaint comes in.

IMO the FCC won't do anything about 11m unless and until it becomes commercially viable. Then they will hunt all of the outlaw CBers down like dogs and auction the band off to the highest bidder.

I don't see 11 being commercially viable though. Not with all the other wireless options out there.

It's so easy to get a Amateur (Ham) radio license they would be no need. With a license just on 2 meters you can talk an easy 25-50 miles mobile. And much more from a base. There has been some talk of the FCC even lowering CB power. And not allowing Beam antennas.

The FCC issued a public notice about rule changes more than a year ago. They are considering reducing power.

The FCC issued a public notice about rule changes more than a year ago. They are considering reducing power.

So I assume that means all newly produced units will be lower than 4w and that's it. There's no other way to control that. Why? Why would they do that with all the other 4w and modified rigs out there, people will always use amps and raise the power in their rigs. That's a dumb move if you ask me. They will never be able to completely wipe it out. (Kinda sounds like what the Government is doing to Cigarettes, raise the price over time so eventually no one can afford them and then phase them out and make them a controlled substance) Well sorta like that. The FCC created a beast when they loosen their grip on 11 meters, good luck controlling it even more FCC, provided that's the long term plan there.

As has been suggested, since you already have an Amateur radio license, get a good used (or new if you want) HF rig. Once you have worked some DX on 10 meters (where you have privileges as a Tech license holder) you will want more. 10 meters (and 11 meters too) have really been hopping with lots of DX stations lately. And with the Solar Flux getting higher, it will only get better. CB is fun in it's own way, but, if you pass up what you already have , you will wish you had not. And once you get going on 10 meters, think about upgrading to General. It's not that much harder to pass that test than the one for Tech. I work HF mobile every day. And from the big truck I drive at work as well. And use CB too. (have to because of the type of work we do) Both have their place and both can be fun. In fact, on the way home from work today, worked a
station in Milan, Italy. With 100 watts from an ICOM 706 MKIIG and a Tarheel 100a Screwdriver antenna. It was the second time this year that I talked to that guy. Had a nice 10 minute chat too. Pretty cool in my opinion!
Have fun whatever you do!
trucker

As has been suggested, since you already have an Amateur radio license, get a good used (or new if you want) HF rig. Once you have worked some DX on 10 meters (where you have privileges as a Tech license holder) you will want more.

That is definitely the plan, whenever I get the money I will be buying a new Galaxy. The Galaxy DX98VHP 200 Watt 10 Meter Radio with Single Sideband (USB

G10-01012.jpg
one for the truck and one for the house

and when I get my extra class later on a Yaesu FT-897D for the house and a Yaesu FT-857D for the truck
images.jpg 0857.jpg

That is definitely the plan, whenever I get the money I will be buying a new Galaxy. The Galaxy DX98VHP 200 Watt 10 Meter Radio with Single Sideband (USB

View attachment 5783
one for the truck and one for the house

and when I get my extra class later on a Yaesu FT-897D for the house and a Yaesu FT-857D for the truck
View attachment 5784 View attachment 5785
For the money you will pay for a new 98VHP, you can just about buy a nice used FT-857D and have a better radio in the bargain. I have a 98VHP that I got from one of the guys at work, who quit and then called me needing money. So, I got a good deal on it. But, even though it is a decent radio
(and weighs 10 lbs!) it is not as good as any of the mobile ham rigs I own.
(and I have several :laugh: )
A used FT-857D or 897D is a much better radio than a brand new 98VHP.
Even a Ranger 2950DX or 2970N2 are much better. Both will give you better coverage and more features. And the 2970N2 has plenty of power too.
lots of choices, but, I wouldn't suggest buying the 98VHP with the intention of using it on 10meters. It will work, but, not anywhere as good as other radios.
trucker

people act like jumping from 4 watts to 10 watts is going to make a major difference... truth is it won't

besides that even if they do raise the limit to 10, people will want 25 and use it and more... In short I doubt they will ever raise it... and even if they do people will continue to run higher than legal limits

Wow I love this site, so active and speedy replies, thanks all, very informative.
As for the guy that said get my ticket, did you see my user name? lol
I am a Tech class Ham and have dabbled in 2m, that's it, but my main interest is in HF and lower starting with 10m. All the interest in RF, radios, antenna theory and electronics started with my first CB when I was 13. With all that had been said about the FCC and 11 meters, I think I will either tune my radio to 25 watts on is own or leave it at 4 and build a 25-35 watt amp, nothing to hot, 4 watts just bugs the crap outta me. Then again paying $15 to have the mod pot tuned to max and getting the power turned up to 25 watts internally is a lot cheaper and faster, but wouldn't I need a higher amperage fuse in the power line?

Don't sell 2 meters short ......

Yep this weekend i worked the world on 10 meters with 80 watts and a vertical we had some tropo on 2 meters and worked 100-200 miles on 146.520 FM.

people act like jumping from 4 watts to 10 watts is going to make a major difference... truth is it won't

besides that even if they do raise the limit to 10, people will want 25 and use it and more... In short I doubt they will ever raise it... and even if they do people will continue to run higher than legal limits

What is the problem there, "people act like jumping from 4 watts to 10 watts is going to make a major difference... truth is it won't"

And people already commonly get their rigs internal output raised to 25 watts from the shops around here. I think there is also a 50 watt option if I remember correctly. Maybe 10w isn't that great but I know that 25w is descent, I could talk pretty far.

They will not ever increase the power limits because it will create a publicity nightmare with the Ham community. It's far easier to just ignore the band altogether and only deal with complaints.

NO 99% of hams don't care what frosts the hams is he people going into the 10 meter band ....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.