• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Wilson 1000 barjan junk now?

Walkin' the dog
Sep 12, 2009
Chilliwack, BC
www.youtube.com
I need a trunk mount antenna and I read wilson are made in china now?
Is that true?
Maybe a nos k40 is better?

The siro 5000 looks ok but its overpriced.

Any recommendations?

thanks

If you had problems with the Wilson, why wouldn't you try the Sirio? It doesn't cost that much more then the Wilson.
I have been using my Wilson off and on for 2-3 years now without any problems. I'm not sure where it was manufactured though.

From everything I have heard, the Sirio is the right move. That being said, my Wilson 5000 is a "real" Wilson, and was made before Barjan bought them. No problems with that antenna. I think Stryker was doing a knock off, but believe it was a Barjan with the Stryker name on it.

Brett

I have had a wilson 1000 and a wilson 5000, both roof mounts, and both failed in the exact same way.

I believe the weak point to be the solder connection between the base coil and the whip holder.

Both antennas would appear to work when the vehicle was sitting still, but would cut in and out when in motion.

verified by bending the antenna back and having the receive drop right out, only to return when the antenna was put upright again.

Both antennas were purchased within the last 10 years. the 5000 failed on me about two years ago, after being in use for about three years.

I now run a full size whip, but would not hesitate to try the sirio out, as i have tested one before and found them to be very nice antennas.
LC

I have owned W-1000, W-5000 and the sirio 5000 and the sirio was the best of the bunch, both on swr and performance. They where all mounted on the roof of a dodge quad cab, I never touched the adjustment on the sirio and it had a 1:1 match.
On the 2002 Chevy Avalanche, the Wilson 5k required no trimming. On my 95 Tahoe the Wilson 5k needed trimming. My next antenna will probably be the Sirio 5k when the Wilson needs replacement.

So long as the Barjan owned Wilson antenna have addressed the water intrusion/leakage issue in the build, it should be OK. After all, they are probably being built in the same Chinese factory that they were built before the ownership changed. IMO - a decent and proven design otherwise.

Wilson antennas used to be assembled here in the USA.

They had people all over the country assembling them as a home business.

When i was about 16, i went to a friend's house, and in their garage was an entire wilson 1000 assembly setup.
They wound the coils, assembled and soldered the bases, and put them in big boxes that got shipped who knows where.

To answer all of the inevitable questions, no, i could not convince them to give me a free antenna. LOL
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated