• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 1000 or Stryker SR5 Antenna?

That's about right. The antennas are what 65 and the mag mount about 25 or so. then you have shipping. If memory serves me I tnink that is what I paid for the same setup from H&Y.

Reactions: Galaxy 959
The Stryker 5K mag mount is just a Wilson 5000 coil and whip with a Wilson 1000 mag mount........RG 58 coax to boot. How it's rated at 5000 watts is a mystery.

If I were you, I would rack my brain and wallet to find a way to hard mount it on the roof. In my experience, a short cheap hard mounted antenna performs as good in a good location than an expensive mag mount in a bad location.

If I were you, I would rack my brain and wallet to find a way to hard mount it on the roof. In my experience, a short cheap hard mounted antenna performs as good in a good location than an expensive mag mount in a bad location.

I would find it very impossible to think about drilling a hole in my new $29,000 2014 F150 as would most people. If I had a beater truck the hole would be a no brainer.

Reactions: hotrod
I would find it very impossible to think about drilling a hole in my new $29,000 2014 F150 as would most people. If I had a beater truck the hole would be a no brainer.
Have you actually thought about why you are scared to drill a hole in a truck? I understand the initial resistance, but there is no reasonable reason not to. It won't hurt the value because no one looks at the roof of a truck. And if they do, it is because they are planning to drill a hole, and you saved them the trouble. I spent 60+ thousand on a truck, but I gave it to the wife because it has a sunroof. I will never make that mistake again.

Instead you'd quite happily put a magmount on the roof and scratch the hell out of the paint? :confused:

I had no problem drilling a hole in the roof of my new Ford Mondeo. I did it the very same weekend I got the car home.

Have you actually thought about why you are scared to drill a hole in a truck? I understand the initial resistance, but there is no reasonable reason not to. It won't hurt the value because no one looks at the roof of a truck. And if they do, it is because they are planning to drill a hole, and you saved them the trouble. I spent 60+ thousand on a truck, but I gave it to the wife because it has a sunroof. I will never make that mistake again.

Water leaks are always a possibility.

Instead you'd quite happily put a magmount on the roof and scratch the hell out of the paint? :confused:

I had no problem drilling a hole in the roof of my new Ford Mondeo. I did it the very same weekend I got the car home.

I had a magnet mount on my last truck for 4 years and it did no damage whatsoever.

Water leaks are always a possibility.
I'm am not trying to bash you. I started with a mag mount, but then went with a hard mount on an old truck I had. I soon noticed a difference between the two after swapping back and forth a lot. Heck, I didn't think different antennas could perform as differently as they do, until I tried a 5' firestick on a mag mount. Swr was great, but the receive was horrible and noisy. That same antenna hard mounted in the same location was a lot better, but still bad. I guess I'm just saying don't knock it till you try it. And as far as a water leak, it absolutely cannot happen with a properly installed Gunny Puck, or most any other properly designed puck.

Glad you are happy with the setup. They work well for what they are. If you live in a high humidity area or get dew in the am often or lots of rain, take the mount off and clean it as often as possible. Just some food for thought. My roof was weird so you may not experience this problem. But I did and it makes a big difference being dry vs wet. Again, just food for thought. Enjoy the new setup and happy dxing!!

I have both of these magnetic mount antennas. I also have a 41" Radio Shack magnetic mount and a couple of 20+ year old Radio Shack 3' magnetic mounts.

The Stryker SR5 and the Wilson 1000 perform really well. The Radio Shack jobs perform surprisingly well, but they obviously offer lesser performance than the 62" whip Stryker and Wilson.

I wouldn't drill a hole in the roof of my F150 either.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.