• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 500

mollyzoe

Nov 13, 2005
Hello: I am a new member of this your site and thanks to all of you for helping out others. Being new to CB's & Antennas I have a Cobra 19 DX 111 CB & a Wilson 500 magnetic mount antenna I have installed. I still have to sent the trim with my swr meter. My question is this : I bought a 54" whip for the wilson & wanted to find out if this would give me longer distance to transmit & receive , or , is this just overkill on my part ? The car I installed the system in is small . It is a 97 Toyota Tercel thats what lead me to think a longer antenna would help for max performance. Please let me know what you think. Sorry for the long post but they will be shorter as I learn more with your help & thoughts. Thanks , Dan.

mollyzoe,
welcome to the best c.b. radio forum on the net.
if you can take the wilson 500 back do so, and get a wilson 1000. it will be a night and day difference in performance. so you bought an extra stinger? the longer stinger is for the 1000/5000 antennas. all you will end up doing is cutting it up to match the one on the 500 coil gaining you nothing in performance but lightening your wallet a $$. if you bought all this at a cb shop and the tech knew thats why you were buying it, i would find some place else to do business, becuase he should have told you this instead of taking your money.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
I bought the Wilson 500 & the 60" stinger because he told me its what I needed. I thank you for your help. I just went right along with this guy & found out the hard way. Next time I am thinking about buying any CB related items you can be sure I will come to this site & no other to find out the truth . Thanks for your help. Dan. I better bring a hacksaw with me & a new blade when I trim it with the SWR meter. Could you let me know about how much I should cut off just to get started ? Thanks again, Dan.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.