• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson antenna advice

I guess that's the part I'm having trouble understanding.

Its quite possible. One thing that can give you a wider bandwidth without sacrificing efficiency is a larger diameter radiator. The whip on the 5000 is a wider diameter than the Wilson.

If we model a dipole at 28MHz with 2mm diameter wire we get ~1.4MHz bandwidth <2:1. If we double that to 4mm it goes up to ~1.8MHz <2:1, a 30% increase.

Last edited:
Huh?? Both my wilson and my siro whips measure 1/8" at the BASE and 1/16" at the TOP. My 102" whip measures 7/32" at the BASE ant tapers down to 1/16" at the TOP

Huh?? Both my wilson and my siro whips measure 1/8" at the BASE and 1/16" at the TOP. My 102" whip measures 7/32" at the BASE ant tapers down to 1/16" at the TOP
I know, the Sirio whips aren't twice the size but he don't know that ;)

That's nice for you. What are those in real units of measurement that the entire rest of the world uses?

Maybe, but at least I understand a floating ground.

But yet can't comprehend that a PCB securing screw going through the chassis and a negative trace its electrically connected to along with the negative power cable means that the board and chassis is electrically connected to the ground wire.

I don't really give a rats ass about your opinion. Unlike you I don't need to use a 350W amp to compensate for a crappy installation and lack of operating skill. When was the last time you busted a pileup to a DX station 4000 miles away with just 21W? Have you ever even made it that far using your 350W?

If you were half as intellegent as you think you are, you could find a way to convert those measurements yourself. Just becuase the majority believe one "way", that doesnt make it the better "way" The world is round you know. :LOL:

But yet can't comprehend that a PCB securing screw going through the chassis and a negative trace its electrically connected to along with the negative power cable means that the board and chassis is electrically connected to the ground wire.

I don't really give a rats ass about your opinion. Unlike you I don't need to use a 350W amp to compensate for a crappy installation and lack of operating skill. When was the last time you busted a pileup to a DX station 4000 miles away with just 21W? Have you ever even made it that far using your 350W?

Where did you get that I run 350w? And where did you get that I have a crappy system running 350w? I don't even run close to 350w.

I gave you a detained picture in that other thread depicting DC isolation. I kinda figured you'd have googled it by now to try and understand it.

I came up with some more questions for you guys. :) First, Wilson 1000 vs 5000. Obviously the 5000 would be better for just 10-15 dollars more. I heard some people say the 1000 has better ears. Is there any truth to this? Also, 5000 vs 5000 trucker. Would anybody see any difference in performance?

My on topic answer would be that if you were lucky enough to have gotten a pr-bargan era Wilson then the only real difference would be that the 5000 will handle more power. I ran these antennas for years and I couldn't tell the difference between the 1000 and 5000 and neither could the individuals I was talking to.

However if it is a bargan product....Throw it in the trash and get a Sirio...

You will eventually be glad you did:)

Reactions: 1 person
I've run both the Wilson mag mount 1000 and 5000 for over 15 years. I find them both to be about the same. Last may I purchased a Sirio pl5000 w/145 mag mount. And I feel that the Wilson antenna can't even come close. I see about 5-15 more miles mobile to mobile over the Wilson everyday. Sometimes more. I started in CB in 1968 and these are the best mobile antenna that I have ever seen. I've tuned it to do both the 10 and 11 meter bands. I gave low a SWR from 26.950 - 28.740. I think you would be well pleased with the Sirio over the Wilson.

5 to 15 miles difference from a Wilson to a Sirio???? If this was even possible to beat a Wilson antenna with even 5 miles it would mean that Wilson put all their technology in making it not work! Nothing will disgrace a Wilson by more than a S unit ever. You may see a noticeable difference with a super small inexpensive antenna but that Bull Sh@t won't fly on this forum!

Nothing will disgrace a Wilson by more than a S unit ever.

I love always, ever, and never statements. They have a nasty habit of being wrong more often than not.

I know of some mobile antenna setups that are used by their owners every day that I bet would beat your Wilson by over an s-unit as measured by the receivers radio... Mind you they aren't common every day setups... An end fire array and a driven/reflector setup, each of which can get 2/3's of an s-unit or more on their own, and that is before factoring in the higher gain of the antennas used, and greater efficiency, and the naturally lower lobe of radiation... Or for that matter inaccurate s-meters.

I wouldn't even dismiss the possibility that there is some set of conditions that a single longer mobile antenna can beat a Wilson by an s-unit, although I agree that it would not be a common occurrence.

The DB

There are no 'absolutes' about brands/models/styles of antennas, they can all be very nice performers. The same antenna in a different situation can also be terrible.
I found a particular spot to park at work that for a number of reasons was @#$ near perfect! Move 10 feet and things went to pot very quickly. (NO, different kind'a pot!)
If you like a particular brand, good for you. Any brand/model antenna is never going to be the 'best' in all situations.
- 'Doc

my 1000 talks 20+ miles everyday. Not really a surprise coming from a company with a reputation like Wilson. Can't go wrong with one.
the 5000 is only better if you're running high power, i'd say 1500+ watts. I've even heard the newer 5000s are running the exact same rg8 coax as the 1000 mag.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.