• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson antenna advice

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
I came up with some more questions for you guys. :) First, Wilson 1000 vs 5000. Obviously the 5000 would be better for just 10-15 dollars more. I heard some people say the 1000 has better ears. Is there any truth to this? Also, 5000 vs 5000 trucker. Would anybody see any difference in performance?

What's it going on?

The 5k has a superior coil vs. the 1k. I got a 5k trucker and tried it out on my truck vs. my SS whip and it received just as good I thought. I made a few DX contacts on 38lsb with it that afternoon also. I originally bought it to hood/fender mount on my little beater car. I may get another for my car and put this one back on my truck because it doesn't rub the eaves of drive throughs. Although it's humorous when they look up as I drive on sounding like a stick against a picket fence.

Spend the coin for the 5k is my suggestion.

Yeah I thought it didn't sound right. Just wanted to check...

What I really would like to know is performance difference between the 5000 and 5000 trucker.

Get a sirio pl5000, they are built better and IMO have better rx /tx range than the wilson 5000. The new Wilson's are hit or miss as far as quality goes these days. The old ones were well made, not so anymore, china made junk. The sirio antennas are made in Italy, and are a really broad banded antenna. Check around before you make you final decision if you haven't already, and really take a look at the sirio pl5000 performer. DNJ Radio carries the sirio line and they ship super fast. 2 days from Cali to Central FL. Anyway, just some food for thought. God bless.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Between the 1000 and 5000 the coil is the difference, and the 5000 definitely has the better coil. In the past I have run both and have not noticed any difference between the two performance wise.

When talking about the standard base load design vs the trucker series raised coil design, if attached to equivalent mounts I don't see anyone noticing the difference between the two antennas.

The DB

Yeah I thought it didn't sound right. Just wanted to check...

What I really would like to know is performance difference between the 5000 and 5000 trucker.

The correct answer is the one with the longest whip wins outright and then its the one with the biggest coil if the whip lengths are identical as that usually transfers into a higher Q and therefore efficiency.

But as DB says, the difference is going to be so minimal you'll struggle to notice. Its only when you're comparing say something with a 3-4ft whip to something like a Sirio 5000 with its 6.5ft whip you'll notice.

5 or 10 shaft? Other than someone getting the coil above the roof line is it better to get the taller shaft for performance or tuning reasons?

Last edited:
The correct answer is the one with the longest whip wins outright and then its the one with the biggest coil if the whip lengths are identical as that usually transfers into a higher Q and therefore efficiency.

But as DB says, the difference is going to be so minimal you'll struggle to notice. Its only when you're comparing say something with a 3-4ft whip to something like a Sirio 5000 with its 6.5ft whip you'll notice.
(y)

If you are still need to purchase I would recommend the Sirio 5000 for the simple reason as you have more whip compared to more coil.
But, if you have your heart set on a Wilson, then depending on where you mount it, 5000 for the roof.

Reactions: 1 person
I've run both the Wilson mag mount 1000 and 5000 for over 15 years. I find them both to be about the same. Last may I purchased a Sirio pl5000 w/145 mag mount. And I feel that the Wilson antenna can't even come close. I see about 5-15 more miles mobile to mobile over the Wilson everyday. Sometimes more. I started in CB in 1968 and these are the best mobile antenna that I have ever seen. I've tuned it to do both the 10 and 11 meter bands. I gave low a SWR from 26.950 - 28.740. I think you would be well pleased with the Sirio over the Wilson.

Thanks for the input. I was looking for something a little smaller but still effective to throw up there when I didn't want the 10-k on there.

You guys keep talking about the Sirio 5000, do you guys think its better than a 10-k?

You guys keep talking about the Sirio 5000, do you guys think its better than a 10-k?

Performance wise probably little in it, certainly not enough to warrant buying one if you've already got a 10K. Where the 5000 does win is the whip. You're going to get away with hitting low stuff such as height barriers at drive-thrus a lot better with a 5000 than a 10k.

I'm no antenna expert, but how does an enclosed coil beat an open one? Not trying to start something here, just trying to understand it better.

Thanks

You can put stuff on the coil to prevent ice up. I think both antennas are the same length 6.5, but the predator is a mid coil vs the sirio being base loaded. Other than extreme weather conditions how do the antennas compare?

Not trying to bash the sirio... I have always been told closed coil antennas are not better than open.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.