• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Winter is here time to get to work

Radio Tech

Radio Operator
Sep 9, 2008
North Carolina
www.gokarters.com
Well, summer is over, leaves are falling and the air is starting to get crisp.
It has been a very busy summer at least. Now back to shop related projects. One of my worst nightmares was the front room and storage area in the shop. The front room was full of shelves and old stuff that was never touched for years. The main work room consists of 2 work benches, my old radio collection and storage. The second work room had a repair bench, storage and tube testing station. This was actually a cluster lol

First job was to consolidate the work areas. So moved all storage out of the main work room and put all work benches there. Which ends up having 3 work stations and a design and tear down bench.

Next job was to move everything from the front room. Recover walls and ceiling and paint. Build new desk and move all my personal radios to that room.
In removing stuff from that room I engaged in battle with 5 black widow spiders. It was a rough battle but I was victorious in the end. Then I moved an old computer rack and found a 3 foot snake skin entangled in the chassis. This led me to doing a complete makeover of that front room. Every hole was boarded up and every crack sealed. Have not seen the first insect in here in a week!
Now I have to install a 4 inch PVC pipe to run all coax cables into the front room. This will be a task.

I already started building shelves for the storage room. Some of the older stuff will find its way to the garage soon to make more room in the shop. I have tons of it. There is at least 5-6 weeks more work to do in the shop that will be spread out over the winter months. Plans are to do the other 2 rooms like I did the front room.

After all is done and said I believe it will be very rewarding in the end. The repair area will be more studio like for future YouTube videos for repair and tear downs.
Pictures and video to follow .
Going to be a long winter…….

Last edited:
Reactions: 2RT307

Sounds like a pretty big project. Looking forward to the pics...

Yes it is. It is unbelevable the amount one collects over 12 years. Going to take a while to go through all this and get everything like I want it. The front room is almost complete. Little touch up here and there. This project has already burnt my cicular saw up so have to run out today and by a new one lol.

I have lots of projects to get to after all this is done. Radio and test equipment in need of repair that belongs to me.
Plus cant make it on radio work alone, so going to start repairing other electronic stuff here in the shop.

Reactions: mb91w126
Yes it is. It is unbelevable the amount one collects over 12 years.

12 years hey? I'll bet my wife wishes it was only twelve years. I started before we even met. Eleven days ago we celebrated our 25'th anniversary. LOL

I did promise her that after I finish a major ham radio project I plan to start this winter I would make a MAJOR effort at clearing out a bunch of stuff that I know I will never use. I am holding on to a bunch of stuff until I am sure it will not be needed and after that it goes. Most of it is small stuff filling boxes and boxes but some of it like plate transformers are big and HEAVY.

12 years hey? I'll bet my wife wishes it was only twelve years. I started before we even met. Eleven days ago we celebrated our 25'th anniversary. LOL

I did promise her that after I finish a major ham radio project I plan to start this winter I would make a MAJOR effort at clearing out a bunch of stuff that I know I will never use. I am holding on to a bunch of stuff until I am sure it will not be needed and after that it goes. Most of it is small stuff filling boxes and boxes but some of it like plate transformers are big and HEAVY.
oh much longer than 12 years lol, thats just the last go round. wife and I have been married 31 years. me snd my partner ran a shop for 25 years, he passed away 12 years ago.

Go tsome heavy iron laying around here also, plus 2 Heatkit Apache's.
Talk about back breakers.....

Toe breakers too if you ever drop one. Hell whole broken foot with a few I have here. Time to lighten the load a bit. Seriously tho, who needs a plate transformer with a 3800 volt secondary at 1.2 amps CCS anyway? Oh wait...............did I mention I have a winter project in the planning stages. :whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.