• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

wire dipoles in loft for 11m band

scottishtommy

Jan 29, 2010
want help as set one up in my loft but not bad for skip but local it is no good the reason im using a dipole is cant put an outdoor antena up as im in a flat and people dont like them each leg is 8'6" and the swr is great through out from 26.515 - 27.999 so im happy with that so would love to hear what you all think and hear your idears

regards
tommy (26tm208)

If your loft has 8 feet of height you might consider going from the dipole to a quad loop. The quad will give you almost 3 db more and is easily configured vertical for local or horizontal for DX.

If your loft has 8 feet of height you might consider going from the dipole to a quad loop. The quad will give you almost 3 db more and is easily configured vertical for local or horizontal for DX.
no its under 6 foot in hight so was thinking is there such a thing as a 1/4 wave loop type of antena thacan be made up so its configured out of 4x4 foot sections in say sqaure or dimand configuration using 16 foot wire

is the dipole an inverted V?

^

you can also use a 1/2 wave loop that is horizontal, but will be directional.

it is horazontal but tody im puting an inverted v up also a rectangel loop into the loft space so will try them all and find out what is best then may work from an antena switch for the best of both worlds local and for the skip but need to get my rig sorted out as its a hygain v 2795 dx and on am/fm only putting out 5 watts and been told they can handle 15 but may just get it set to 10 watts and the same on ssb as then can add a little help if it is needed

I'm using a Bazooka wire dipole in a inverted-v configuration in my attic and it seems to work pretty well for skip and decent for local. My SWRs barefoot are 1.1:1 and with my amp on, 1.3:1. =)

I once QSO on 10 meters with an op who had his mag mount antenna stuck to his frig on the horizontal side, he was in Ny I am in the deep south.

You can try a sloper to get some vertical polarization or even a base loaded mobile antenna with some sort of wire ground plane, maybe like chicken wire in the attic. that may help on local contacts.

You could always put you a 23 foot flag pole in the yard, if you have a yard at your location. (y)

Last edited:
If you have 'room' for it almost anything will work indoors. Not as well as it would outdoors, but it will certainly be usable.
The biggest difference, as you've found out, is polarization, horizontal/vertical. There is a big difference between the two, some thing like 20 dB, which typically shows up more with 'local' or short range stuff.
Full wave loops work just dandy when mounted horizontally! The are not a strictly "up/down" radiator. Their polarization can be changed easily depending on where it's fed and it's general shape. Square or rectangular loops can be switched between vert/horz by feeding them either in a corner, or the center of one side. There are a bunch of them used that way. Full wave loops have an input impedance typically something around 100 - 120 ohms, not 50 ohms. That means that feeding them with an electrical 1/4 wave of 75 ohm coax is a cheap-n-dirty way of matching them to your radio.
Try your dipole in an 'L' configuration. One leg horizontal and one vertical. Only 6 feet of vertical space in your loft? So bend the top couple of feet side ways. That makes the thing a 'one legged' vertical antenna.
You've got all kinds of options. Try the ones that strike your fancy.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users