• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

With the info on this site...

Im looking at it this way BDR , and no thanks , I don't touch the stuff. You also avoided my question as well ? Doc is a big boy and can take care of himself . This had nothing to do with 74 , he was trolling around to basically not mind his own buisness and came out with the smart ass remark towards me.

I've been around here now for some years and it's not my business to go out of my way and add on to others opinions towards one another unless it's appropiate. 74 and a few other like him tend to troll around everytime they get the chance , especially with me.

Moderations apparently lets this go on for the last year or so ? I personally don't understand that ? because after years around here , if I was that bad of a guy , I would have been gone a long time ago. Good luck with your 29. The only hate I ever feel is from 74 and his kind around here. And from what I have gathered this past year , there hate is allowed around here becuase I have yet to see any moderations about it.

Like I said earlier , no different from my PMSing ole lady and turning there things around for no reasons at all .......at least she has an excuse for her behaviour. Peace

What part of STFU do you not get?

Just another long winded, meaningless post.
By the grace of the powers that be 74 .......I get nothing from you nor do I want any of it. I said what I said to you and I meant every word of it, and if that doesn't register in your head ? That's your problem. Look at it this way 74 , it's just one more thing about your life that you can go bitch,moan and groan about for the simple fact you didn't get your own way.

IM sure you can find somebody around here to co-sign your B.S. or listen to it. Now with that. I am official none wasting my time with you period. You sir , can count your blessings. Good day. :)

IM sure you can find somebody around here to co-sign your B.S. or listen to it.

LMAO, whatta knucklehead.

It's a forum, you read, not listen.:blink:

My BS is strong, needs no co-signer( whatever the hell that means).:LOL:

You sure :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: alot.:love:

Im looking at it this way BDR , and no thanks , I don't touch the stuff. You also avoided my question as well ?

Truth be told, you're style of writing takes some getting used to so had to go back and read it again.

If you don't think you can handle that , and you can tell me about an
oscilloscope BDR ? Hmmmmmm .......well why in God's name are you asking these questions in the first place ? No need to sugar coat it to me.

I haven't used an oscilloscope for probably 15 years back in highschool but the person I know who has one can help me along with it. As for asking the questions that I have been asking... All I've ever done with a CB in the past is plug it in and talk. Changing out that single diode was my first time taking a soldering iron to one of these. I know it's old hat to you guys so sorry for asking simple questions.

Just a little update too on what I thought might have been a bad cable for the antenna. Turns out the coil part of the K40 is damaged, probably from one too many branch hits on the trail. Think I'll use that as an excuse to myself to finally get a Wilson 1000 ;)

You can not hurt that radio as well as 74 knowing that in the first place. Kiss kiss kiss. As I said , real simple , you can bring up L14 until it's half way out of the coil and you can turn up VR 4 and then back it off slightly from there ,(I said it didn't have to be rocket science or perfect to work ) your mic-gain will control audio from there. If you don't think you can handle that , and you can tell me about an
oscilloscope BDR ? Hmmmmmm .......well why in God's name are you asking these questions in the first place ? No need to sugar coat it to me.

Whats next 74 ? To hear you cry about the state of the nation or gun control or how unhappy it is to lose ? You truly are a work of art dude. :) Happy New Year to you , but from reading up , you really don't seem like a very happy fella :( I hope it gets better for you , you can quote that while your at it as well , because I mean it from the tip of my finger (s) :)
And to wonder why when people get advise like what I have taken the liberty to highlight above they tend to start getting angry phone calls from the neighbors about their stock 29 cobras intruding on there applianes?

These radios are capable of producing only so much power output and sane amounts of modulation levels, I say if a person wanted to have more output one has only to add a small rf amplifier inline and in this the person on the other end has control of his/her volume level, because as we all know a well designed amp even in class-c in AM mode will not increase the volume level but will increase the radiation pattern of the tx device.

BDR said:
I haven't used an oscilloscope for probably 15 years back in highschool but the person I know who has one can help me along with it. As for asking the questions that I have been asking... All I've ever done with a CB in the past is plug it in and talk. Changing out that single diode was my first time taking a soldering iron to one of these. I know it's old hat to you guys so sorry for asking simple questions.

And a good diagnosis and repair that was, the diode in question was the reverse polarity diode, it's in that circuit to protect that circuit incase of an accidental reverse b+ connection to the radio.

In later models there is a larger diode installed across the power input socket which is easily done to the older models, the reason for this was that even though the protection diode that is in circuit on the board dose it's job some people would discover that and say ''Oh my I have plugged the radios power cord in backwards" and thus thinking they could remedy that by plugging it in correctly but guess whats happened now? that's circuit has been severed by the disconnection of the protection diode and then the power being reintroduced is searching for another path to dc ground which redirects it and usually will find itselfs going directly short circuit and burning a trace on the board and repairing that trace is'nt impossible but totally unnecessary.

Sorry to bore you with the blow by blow details but I thought you might benefit from some solid information as to what acutally happened to make your radio do what it did to be repaired.

The strange thing about it was, it had been plugged in the same way for at least a couple months and in that time it worked just fine. One day it just wouldn't turn on so I checked the fuse and it was blown. Stuck another fuse in, it blew. Took the radio out and set it off to the side then got a cheapy from Radio Shack to hold me over till I got the Cobra fixed. Yes, both pos and neg are wired directly to the battery. Oh well, it's working now and I'll know where to look the next time it acts up :)

The strange thing about it was, it had been plugged in the same way for at least a couple months and in that time it worked just fine. One day it just wouldn't turn on so I checked the fuse and it was blown. Stuck another fuse in, it blew. Took the radio out and set it off to the side then got a cheapy from Radio Shack to hold me over till I got the Cobra fixed. Yes, both pos and neg are wired directly to the battery. Oh well, it's working now and I'll know where to look the next time it acts up :)
Strange!

I've seen those diodes go without hooking the radio up the wrong ways over the years. I've seen those diodes look good but be bad at the same time. Oh sure , I've seen them fried to the point where they took out traces and other parts with them (could still be repaired all the same)

I suppose parts aren't always kosher from the get go . Same could be said about the voltage regulators in the older 148s/Grants . But could be replaced with stronger ones. IM sure there is a answer to why this diode took a dump on you BDR , but "strange" would be the answer to this question and why for the time being.

I suppose it comes down to knowledge and understanding of the unit in question. I have seen some of the strangest things happen to radios where I didn't have the answers and neather did the techs at the time. It wasn't because they didn't know there crafts well , it was about the explorator surgery and trying to figure it out. Time is money .

I've known a few tech's in my time and there wasn't one of them that didn't damned near have a room full of parts radios ......Why do you think that might be ? ;) IM all for fixing my own stuff if I can BDR , it can get very costly having them repaired. I personally didn't mean for the thread to go hay wire like it did. I was just trying to help you no matter what anyone else may have thought. (I can promise you , you wouldn't have hurt anything and as far as TVI or Harmonics and what not , what I told you to do would have been in the ballpark (perfect or not) especially in a motor car)

You, like anybody else has got to do what they gots to do. Hope you post up after you do get the radio tuned and tell me where the L14 pot was moved to as well as VR4. :D Good luck to you.

I've seen those diodes go without hooking the radio up the wrong ways over the years. I've seen those diodes look good but be bad at the same time. Oh sure , I've seen them fried to the point where they took out traces and other parts with them (could still be repaired all the same)

I suppose parts aren't always kosher from the get go . Same could be said about the voltage regulators in the older 148s/Grants . But could be replaced with stronger ones. IM sure there is a answer to why this diode took a dump on you BDR , but "strange" would be the answer to this question and why for the time being.

I suppose it comes down to knowledge and understanding of the unit in question. I have seen some of the strangest things happen to radios where I didn't have the answers and neather did the techs at the time. It wasn't because they didn't know there crafts well , it was about the explorator surgery and trying to figure it out. Time is money .

I've known a few tech's in my time and there wasn't one of them that didn't damned near have a room full of parts radios ......Why do you think that might be ? ;) IM all for fixing my own stuff if I can BDR , it can get very costly having them repaired. I personally didn't mean for the thread to go hay wire like it did. I was just trying to help you no matter what anyone else may have thought. (I can promise you , you wouldn't have hurt anything and as far as TVI or Harmonics and what not , what I told you to do would have been in the ballpark (perfect or not) especially in a motor car)

You, like anybody else has got to do what they gots to do. Hope you post up after you do get the radio tuned and tell me where the L14 pot was moved to as well as VR4. :D Good luck to you.

Stranger!:confused:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.