• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

With the info on this site...

BDR

Jan 5, 2009
Finally got my Cobra 29 LTD WX Classic back in working order after sitting in the garage for the past 3 years (y) I had a problem with it blowing fuses soon as you'd connect the power plug. After a bit of searching and reading on here, I changed out that D23 diode and all is well again.

Now to do a lot more reading on how to tweak this thing a little bit ;)

I'm glad we ("we" meaning all of the fantastic contributors) could be of help! There are several threads for high power mods, but you'll have to judge for yourself whether or not it's worth it to undertake that. Let us know what you decide and report back :) :)

Yes thanks to all who contribute here :) Instead of sending it off and paying 75 bucks for a repair, it was about 3 bucks for the pack of diodes and new fuses. Getting a little more power output would be nice since I live in the hills of Northern CA. I go on 4x4 runs with friends and sometimes run into situations where it would be handy.

I do have one question. I'm running a K40 magnetic base antenna that is probably from the 70's (dad has a Midland 13-893 from '75). I'd like to switch out the cable since there might be a bad spot in it from being kinked. Couldn't for the life of me get the base apart enough to see how the wire was connected. When checking things with the SWR meter, it was near the end of the scale in red. After wiggling connectors and finding those kinks the readings dropped way down where they're suppose to be. So, is it possible to change out that cable? Thanks!

yes you can , don't be afraid to take it apart . As far as more power goes on the 29 , it doesn't have to be rocket science , L14 L13 and L12 are the power settings , VR4 is your modualtion , If you don't have meters and tools of the trade ? I would just bring up L14s slug about half way out of the coil , (it's right in from of the final) then turn up the audio by VR4 then just back it off a little from there. IM sure you would be OK .

better yet (not having meters) you could just turn up VR 4 as I said and leave the rest alone. There's a good chance your radio is already doing 4 watts , not much differance between 4 and 5 watts , but when you turn up the audio the pep watts swing from the radio will go up automatically.

Changing the coax isn't a super big deal, it's certainly do-able. As far as the 'diddle-sticking' the radio for more power? I'm sorry, but that's got to be some of the worst advice I've ever heard.
- 'Doc

Changing the coax isn't a super big deal, it's certainly do-able. As far as the 'diddle-sticking' the radio for more power? I'm sorry, but that's got to be some of the worst advice I've ever heard.
- 'Doc
Guy said he wanted to do it himself Doc , if he could , and I personally DO NOT think I gave him bad advice. He's wanting to fix his own cb radio , this aint some 10,000 dollar high end goodie , it's a Cobra 29 for God's sakes !! I pretty much like reading your posts over the years Doc , but you can pretty much put the diddle -stick of yours where the sun dont' shine as far as my post is concerned.

Would you rather me of said , send your radio off to so and so or take it to your nearest techipooh ? That's not what he was asking Doc , and if you would have read it closer you would have saw that. Happy New Year to you. :)

OK , let me re-prase that , BDR , unless you have the tools of the trade and the know how ? (although you did fix your radio and saved yourself some cash and that was your aim in the first place) BACK AWAY FROM THE RADIO !! BACK AWAY FROM THE RADIO !! DO NOT TOUCH IT !! You must send that big strap'in Cobra 29 CB to a certified tech that has the tools of the trade that can turn L14 for you and turn up the audio by VR4 !! I repeat BACK AWAY FROM THE RADIO !! Jeeeeeeeezzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited:
Guess I'll have to spend a bit more time trying to figure out how to take apart the base of the antenna, didn't want to force anything.

As for tools of the trade, about the only thing I personally have are multi-meters, SWR meter and lots of soldering experience :laugh: Friend of mine does have some other equipment though such as an oscilloscope.

I pretty much like reading your posts over the years Doc , but you can pretty much put the diddle -stick of yours where the sun dont' shine as far as my post is concerned.

Wow, don't be a jerk. Ooops, too late.

His advice is valid.

You advise him to just turn and twist things, without having the ability to observe the results. To just do things blindly.:confused:

BDR, since you posted the info about having access to test gear, I can tell you how to tune that radio and give it variable power and talkback. The components are available at Radio Shack.

Ask and I'll post.:D

Kiss my grits 74 , or was that you kissing somebody else's ? Whatever floats your boat dude. Then the other guy comes in with his Internet mod's and then you come in with yours 74 ? What's next ? the CBRT transistor swing kit ? . Give me a freaking break here. You just jumped on Doc's ass and then you spewed it out your own. That's good BDR , your good with a soldering iron and you already figured out the protect diode was your problem .(you wouldn't need that for a quicky tune up anyway) I meant every word I said in my first post to you.

You can not hurt that radio as well as 74 knowing that in the first place. Kiss kiss kiss. As I said , real simple , you can bring up L14 until it's half way out of the coil and you can turn up VR 4 and then back it off slightly from there ,(I said it didn't have to be rocket science or perfect to work ) your mic-gain will control audio from there. If you don't think you can handle that , and you can tell me about an
oscilloscope BDR ? Hmmmmmm .......well why in God's name are you asking these questions in the first place ? No need to sugar coat it to me.

A valid point !! You are truly a work of art 74 . You can sure quote me there dude. You and a few others around here remind me of my PMs'ing ole lady , just pick out anything said and make a God damned mountain out of a mole hill when it had nothing to do with nothing in the first place.

Whats next 74 ? To hear you cry about the state of the nation or gun control or how unhappy it is to lose ? You truly are a work of art dude. :) Happy New Year to you , but from reading up , you really don't seem like a very happy fella :( I hope it gets better for you , you can quote that while your at it as well , because I mean it from the tip of my finger (s) :)

No hate here 74 , Switch Kit ALWAYS means what he says. I want you to know how pleased I am to know that I will be going to bed with you this evening. IM not much for tit for tat 74 , lifes to short and IM also not much on playing word games either.

Kissing dairy air or jumping on somebody else's band wagon is also not one of my better qualities ither 74. You sir can take that to the bank. Good night now. Switch Kit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.