• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wizard Built Amp

If you live beside a radio station doing 100,000 watts does it create tvi? There are ways to prevent trouble

If you live beside a radio station doing 100,000 watts does it create tvi? There are ways to prevent trouble

Yes but ideally those ways are built into the transmitter/amp when it is built and not left up to the buyer to install later.

BTW the answer to your question about the 100 KW radio station causing TVI is YES it certainly can. I spent 22 years in broadcasting and we ran a Harris 5000 watt transmitter into a four bay antenna making it an 18,000 watt ERP station. It was on 97.7 MHz. The second harmonic fell on 195.4 MHz which is in the middle of the old analog TV channel 10. Coincidentally enough we were in the primary coverage area of a Ch. 10 TV transmitter. We had to install an optional TVI filter on the transmitter output to reduce the second harmonic emissions to pretty much zero.There are all kinds of methods where FM and TV signals can mix and produce other spurious signals that can cause interference however when a license is applied for a study is done that takes into account existing transmitters in the area and what the mixing products are. if there are any issues a certain frequency will not be allowed to operate in that area. The city of Halifax up here has no FM allocations left because of this despite the fact that the FM band is nowhere near filled up with stations here. The signals produced by this mixing process is known as inter-modulation distortion (or simply intermod) or IMD for short. So after a long drawn out explanation the answer is YES they can certainly cause interference however in the case of broadcasting steps are taken before a frequency is authorized to ensure that such interference does not exist. In our case we were on the air before the ch 10 transmitter came on the air and the TV station paid for the purchase and installation of the filter as ch 10 was the prime allocation for the area.

I said prevention, not totally stopping it.i can run big power and not run in on anything. On 11 meter band. That includes phones, tv, stereo.it doesn't cost much more to have a clean station. But does require some sweat

If the station you worked at was causing tvi , it needed some adjustment either on the transmitter or antenna.

I said prevention, not totally stopping it.i can run big power and not run in on anything. On 11 meter band. That includes phones, tv, stereo.it doesn't cost much more to have a clean station. But does require some sweat

In simple terms the word "prevention" means "to stop something" as opposed to "reduce" which means "to lessen". You said "prevent" therefore I took it to mean "to stop completely".

If the station you worked at was causing tvi , it needed some adjustment either on the transmitter or antenna.

Apparently you did not read what I said was the cause. Either that or you did read it and did not understand it. In either case read it again.

Try separating the amplifier from the transmitter

What amplifier? That right there says you know nothing about broadcast gear. Do you suggest taking the 4CX5000A out of it's tuned cavity and retrofitting it into a jury-rigged cabinet of it's own? :LOL:

Jtgun, what are you wizard under a different name? No need to get all up in a bunch. If someone wants to see my stuff they can look it up on Flickr. But we weren't talking about me. Just making suggestions on picture of amp. Why so quick to redirect? Let's see pictures of your work?

He's just pissed because I did use a Q of 10 coil not something much higher. Also amp does have glitch resistors, safety choke. 4 meters to monitor HV, plate current, grid current and filament voltage. Amp has soft start for Filament and HV. Also wired up so is RF deck loses power, then the HV automatically shuts down. And it is biased. Has over 40 uF on supply ( I used oil filled caps. No load idles at 5500V, drops to 5kv under load. Oh and it has a 454 cfm that keeps the tube cool under all conditions. The blocking cap is rated at 20kv DC. Enough said. Sure I could have installed a nice triode control board, but I didn't.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.