• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wizardry!

David Waits

Oct 13, 2014
Don't know if this is the right sub-forum or not. If not Robb, please move it. I'm gonna talk here, about myself and another. I'm coming back into the hobby after a hiatus of fifteen years. In those fifteen years I calculate I've lost about fifty percent of what I knew. The more I work with radios again the more is coming back. However, at this point, it's woefully inadequate!

Everybody knows I've been battling with a Grant XL that was butchered(This is describing it optimistically). Well, frustrated, I packed it up and sent it to Exit Thirteen. Who, from this point forward, will be known as, 'The Wizard of WorldwideDX!! ET had this basketcase one day and corrected everything. I'm now being sent, a working GrantXL! Now, I understand that a lot of people can repair a radio but, this was...well, I don't think the 'Truckstop-Tech' that worked on it could've damaged it any worse. One Day??? Frequency-generating system was screwed to the point of zero output,AM or SSB. Parts were removed or modified to the point where you scratched your head wondering what they were trying to do! One Day! One Day and he's sending me a message in chat saying it's done. If you knew this radio like I did you would be calling ET a wizard yourself. Also, a fair price for all that work!

I've been around a lot of good, knowledgeable Techs in my days but, ET makes them all look like regular CBers. He is obviously, the best of the best! Thank you sir.

Good deal!! Exit13 knows his stuff and is a valuable asset to this forum. Job well done exit13. And to the poster, good deal, glad that you got that thing working.

Great to hear. ExitThirteen and I were chatting about your radio the other day. Based upon the pictures you had posted I was doubtful. I am glad we didn't make a bet as I would certainly have lost!

Cut traces at the PLL, cut trace on the AM Power control (VR10), cut traces at L3, cut trace at the loop mixer crystal. Loop mixer crystal is wrong value (11.1125, supposed to be 11.325), but I made use of that crystal with no problems. Clarifier was unlocked incorrectly. Fixed all traces, unlock clarifier correctly, installed extra channels correctly. Radio works like a champ.

~Cheers~

In my defense; Did not cut traces at Pll(AAMOF I repaired the one he erroneously cut at pin 12), did not cut trace at vr10, l3,loop mixer, did not change xtal, or wire channels incorrectly. Also, the ETs credit he straightened out the freq. L s that the Hillbilly Tech messed up when he started working on all this.

Reactions: ExitThirteen
In my defense; Did not cut traces at Pll(AAMOF I repaired the one he erroneously cut at pin 12), did not cut trace at vr10, l3,loop mixer, did not change xtal, or wire channels incorrectly. Also, the ETs credit he straightened out the freq. L s that the Hillbilly Tech messed up when he started working on all this.
No one is blaming anyone here. However, there are times that people buy radios that have been hacked wrong for dirt cheap prices. So long as the seller discloses this fact, the price should reflect that.

I get radios like this from time to time and fix them too.

If people want to do mods; then they need to follow through and check their work each step of the way. Or; just don't bother doing it at all. Or pass it off to a tech that can do it right.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.