• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wolf River Coils

Wolf River coil put away, to get back on the air I put my 20 meter hamstick on the tripod with three 16.5' radials lying on the ground. SWR:
14.150 - 1.2:1
14.200 - 1.1:1
14.250 - 1.1:1
14.300 - 1.2:1
14.350 - 1.3:1
Working great.

20 Meter Hamstick.JPG

Tonight: Beans and cornbread, iced tea, brownie for desert, Antique Road Show on PBS, the a Hallmark movie while I browse the net on my iPad for my next antenna. (y)
Now if the Alexloop just came with remote tuning via an app on my iPad I'd be set. Of all the antennas I've had, that was my favorite. The manual tuning and weather did me in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
i hooked up the coil with a 102inch whip.
works great what ever band you tune for. it will cover the entire band.
works great for me.

Jon, was yours on a vehicle or in yard? If yard, what kind of radials did you use?

Wolf River Coil Ground Plane lives! :D
Replaced the hamstick in Post #32 above with my Wolf River mini-coil. Using 16.5' wire radials rather than the original 33' ones made all the difference. The reduced length keeps them away from things and in the clear. Working great on 20 meters!

SWR's:

1.13 @ 14.150
1.06 @ 14.200
1.03 @ 14.250
1.07 @ 14.300
1.14 @ 14.350

Five snap-on ferrite cores from Palamor at feedpoint knocked out what little CMC there was.

After final tuning, gave a listen and immediately heard TI8II in Costa Rica. Gve a shout. Instant QSO! (y)

On another note, I knew I should have rested my back another couple of days before tackling this. In bad need of a hot whirlpool bath and some Advil. :(

Last edited:
Any more ferrite bead and you may pull the coax slap out of it.
You put a 102 on top?

The beads came in a package of five to be used together.
They didn't do much on my end fed but work like a charm with this setup.
102". Yep.
Much more bandwidth using this setup over the MFJ 20 meter hamstick. I attribute that to the increased overall length and the much larger coil compared to the tightly wound thin wire in the hamstick.

Last edited:
And on 40 meters?? What is happening there for swr?? If its a fail I will look after that coil for you pal... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1.55 @ 7.125
1.30 @ 7.150
1.25 @ 7.200
1.38 @ 7.250
1.62 @ 7.300

25 clicks down from the 20 meter setting. Quick and easy method. Did not fine tune by twisting the collar as I did on 20 meters. No need to really. The only reason I did so on 20 was to see how low it would go.

Guess I'll keep the coil, Malen. ;)

Have to say I really like this setup. Anyone looking for a permanent or portable vertical should consider one. The mini-coil (10-40) is only $45 and the Silver Bullet (10-80) is $60. Add a 102" steel whip (or any telescoping antenna), three wire radials and stick it on a tripod and you're done. Most of us have one or more of those items lying around.

Changing bands takes ten seconds once you've done it one time and marked or made note of the band positions on the coil (number of clicks from the top). What I really like is there are no tiny clips to fool with like with similiar coils. Simply click the collar up or down. To fine tune, the collar is twisted. This moves it up or down a little bit at a time.

Good demonstration video on their website.
http://www.wolfrivercoils.com/

Reactions: slidetbone

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.