• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Working satellites with clouds

KC9YFM

Feb 20, 2013
I just had a quick question. I was trying to make a QSO with AO-27 just now and I couldn't hear the satellite at all. It was a perfect pass that went nearly 90 degrees above, but I could not hear a sound. There is some light cloud coverage with lots of wind, but I wouldn't think that it would be enough to block the signal. Is that what's happening? I know most FM satellite transponders use like 500 milliwatts, but I'm not exactly sure on how much that signal can get through.

AO-27 has been out of service since October, if memory serves me correct. That would be why you couldn't hear it. The clouds won't degrade the signal enough that you would notice.

Dave-KB1PVH

Reactions: 1 person
AO-27 has been out of service since October, if memory serves me correct. That would be why you couldn't hear it. The clouds won't degrade the signal enough that you would notice.

Dave-KB1PVH

Wow... I didn't know that. That's strange because I heard people talking on AO-27 just like a month ago. *sigh* So with this small HT I've got, there's only a hand full of satellites left that I can operate. Are there supposed to be any new ones coming?

Last edited:
Are there supposed to be any new ones coming?

Taken from the recent AMSAT News Email-

In addition to the AMSAT-NA Fox cubesat launch opportunity announce-
ments several other satellites with amateur radio transponders are
expected to launch during 2013. Here is a summary of the upcoming
launch plans:

+ A 2013 Yasny Dnepr Launch should have:
o AMSAT-UK FUNcube-1 435/145 MHz 500mW PEP linear transponder
and 1200 bps BPSK beacon for educational outreach for a
planned 600-700km orbit.
o Delfi n3xT 435/145 MHz linear transponder
o Triton-1 435/145 MHz single channel FM to DSB transponder
o Triton-2 435/2408 MHz FM transponder + 435/145 MHz FM to DSB
transponder
o CPUT ZACube-1 435/145 MHz FM transponder

+ In 2nd quarter 2013 TURKSAT-3USAT with a 145/435 MHz linear
transponder (see ANS-069: "May 2013 Launch for TURKSAT-3USAT
Linear Transponder Cubesat",
[ans] ANS-048 AMSAT News Service Weekly Bulletins)

+ June 2013 Ukube-1 with AMSAT-UK FUNcube boards to provide an
amateur radio 435/145 MHz linear transponder and a 1200 bps
BPSK beacon for educational outreach.

Dave-KB1PVH

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.