• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Working sats w/ IC-91AD

K4WOW

Nov 26, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Anybody here using an IC-91A for FM sat ops? Takes some dexterity, but seems do-able. I have the Arrow II with diplexer and am wondering if my best bet would be to use a hand-held scanner with the IC-91A for full duplex. If so...any recommendations on a good, sensitive scanner? Or would you recommend another radio? Decisions, decisions.

Just had my first contacts on an AO-27 pass. Arrow in one hand and IC-91AD in the other. It was rather intense, bouncing between VFO's, but made the success quite enjoyable.

For the price of some of these cheap Chinese radios, I think I would just get one of them instead of a scanner. You could probably do simulated duplex just fine with just a little $50 Baofeng UV-3R

Thanks man. I 've been watching your review thread on that radio. Have you had a chance to check it out on sat ops as a receiver w/ separate transmitter? Does it desense? Shucks....maybe I'll just pick one up. Ridiculous price!

Thanks man. I 've been watching your review thread on that radio. Have you had a chance to check it out on sat ops as a receiver w/ separate transmitter? Does it desense? Shucks....maybe I'll just pick one up. Ridiculous price!

Isn't your Icom full duplex? I thought I saw that in the manual I downloaded. I used a combination of HT's with my arrow without the duplexer for full duplex operation(VX-6R, VX8GR, UVD1P, and a Kenwood TH-6). The real fun was using the TH-D72 with a headset, I had to go back and forth between VFO's like you were doing but it was easier without all the extra cables around for using two HT's.

Congrats on your first contact, try to work AO-51 in the afternoon if you get a chance, check amsat.org sat status page for the current freqs if you haven't already, I think its 145.88 up and 435.150 +/- doppler down. It may not be around much longer

If the IC-91AD is full duplex capable, I haven't figured it out. Setting tx/rx on separate vfos, I set the tx vfo volume down and rx vfo up. I switch to the tx channel to transmit (if I'm on top of my game) and rx is muted while transmitting. Really a shame for such a pricey radio. At least I can play with d-star.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.