• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WORLDWIDE ssb delay install

Yeah, the collector voltage could become very large during turn-off when the energy is released from the inductance stored in the relay coil. However, the capacitor across the transistors C-E leads does act as a snubber, but it could also create an unwanted ringing/resonance which could be even worse under the right conditions

Last edited:
Its missing the anti-parallel diode across the relay coil connection, hence the relay chatter.
Why would that diode missing cause the relay to chatter when someone else keys up near fasteddie?

also when driveing by someone that is transmiting with some power the amp chatters will this hurt anything and is their anything i can do to stop this.

new question onssb delay i have instaled the ssb delay when i unkey the mic abviously the amp stays keyed up momentarily now with side band on will this hurt the reciver of my radio:confused: also when driveing by someone that is transmiting with some power the amp chatters will this hurt anything and is their anything i can do to stop this.:confused:
Not sure what value sniffer cap you have to activate the keying circuit but I would venture to say it's high, you might try a 5 to 10 pf dipped mica and check the effects afterward.

attachment.php

Attachments

• keycircuit1.JPG
    keycircuit1.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 292
Why would that diode missing cause the relay to chatter when someone else keys up near fasteddie?

A relay is really nothing more than an electro-magnet. So when a strong RF field is induced into the keying circuit via the antenna, the RF from the relay contacts can be coupled into the inductive part of the coil which is tied to a capacitor tied to ground. The capacitor tied across the transistor's C-E acts as a short to the coupled RF signal and can therfore allow induced relay current to flow. Removing the capacitor should reduce the chatter and the diode will limit the magnitude of the coils magnetic field.

Not sure what value sniffer cap you have to activate the keying circuit but I would venture to say it's high, you might try a 5 to 10 pf dipped mica and check the effects afterward.

There may be extra base drive due to low sniffer/base drive impedance. The OP could disconnect or add the various suspect parts, based on the scenarios we talked about, to troubleshooot...

:)

thank you all for the good input. i puttthe caps in with a switch and ssb is working perfect now. i do nead to take a cap out though it is a little long on the unkey. as far as the chatter it only happens when a few hundred watts is like within 20 feet of me.(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.