• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Worthy news for some radio buyers

Wire Dawg

Jul 21, 2012
WAS happier than a dog with two tails for $ saved after buying a radio from Coper (with tune /align). Joy was short-lived after finding that the radio needed additional bench work to retune/ realign. When looking to buy an RCI 2950DX, I decided to follow advice by forum members to spend the extra $, and buy the radio from other merchants. After reading good reports about Bell’s CB Radio in Florida, I surrendered to spend the 30 more $ they ask for the same radio. Just left a generic message. Bell’s called back promptly and MATCHED the lower price from Coper. The Customer Service Rep and the Tech were pleasant. So, with a lower price AND a good customer service rep to deal with, my RCI 2950DX is in line to be shipped on the 28th from Bells. Don’t know if they match prices on all radios, but I was assured they will match Coper's price on the RCI 2950DX. I asked them not to remove the ALC, but instead to adjust the modulation pot & the ssb ALC for max swing. Once I get the radio, I will follow up this thread and give my impression regarding its performance. Consider calling these folks before you buy your next radio.

Reactions: 1 person

with a mosfet,dont run alc to high...and been dealing with copper and a-1 in Mich for some 30 yrs and no problems...bought a new rci2980wx last yr and was perfect...good luck with the 2950dx,mines still 10 and 12 mtrs only...and my 2950dx is mainly use 10/12 mbl...73 de JW

n0zna: will you elaborate regarding the alc on mosfet radios? I had no idea that I needed retune & alignment until I spoke with a technician from Ranger about some odd behavior by the 2970n2 that I bought from copper. The onset of problems was about two months after purchase, so I thought that I had done something wrong.

m42Duster: After intervention by the pros, the radio is now working like a charm. Also, after raising the antenna a few more feet, I've had a lot more dx qso's with good reports on the strenght and clarity of my signal. Other than the pleasant surprise of the reduced/ matched price on the 2950DX, I hope to be able to provide a good report about tune/align work by the Bells techs.

n0zna: will you elaborate regarding the alc on mosfet radios? I had no idea that I needed retune & alignment until I spoke with a technician from Ranger about some odd behavior by the 2970n2 that I bought from copper. The onset of problems was about two months after purchase, so I thought that I had done something wrong.

m42Duster: After intervention by the pros, the radio is now working like a charm. Also, after raising the antenna a few more feet, I've had a lot more dx qso's with good reports on the strenght and clarity of my signal. Other than the pleasant surprise of the reduced/ matched price on the 2950DX, I hope to be able to provide a good report about tune/align work by the Bells techs.

Dude relax. Here is what I know for FACT. Copper SUXXXXXX nuff said. If you are buying a radio from a shop that does good tech work then YOUR DONE. Hook your new radio up and enjoy. Your done. Any other BS that someone tells you is just that BS.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.