• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Would this make a difference?

BammBamm

Instigators ...173 on the southside.
May 24, 2010
Steger,Illinois
I have been bored with all the rain here so I decided to try this...
I took 2 four foot pieces of 3/4" pvc and drilled through the center to make a SS u bolt go through it then began at each end of the u bolt with 10 gauge solid core insulated wire and wrapped 9 foot on each 2 foot end I then disconnected the u bolts from the wires and connected a piece of coax to use/ tune this as a dipole on each one af these as I made 2. I was able to get a 1.3:1 SWR on 20 and about 1.6:1 on each end of 11 meter. I am now (after the rain stops) going to mount these in a cross pattern as a ground plane on my A-99 giving me four 2 foot ground radials and each radial will have about 8'6" of wire wrapped on it. Will this make a difference in my antenna? I would like to put up 4 9 foot radials but due to HOA I can't. I will be moving into my new home 2-15-2012 and then can do as I please with antennas, I can't wait!(y)

My A99 seems to work just as well with or without radials and since it does not show to be bad with TVI without the GPK, I also see no affect in that area either. I think the GPK typically installs the radials slanted down and I've done mine both ways, still seeing little to no difference.

For me that would be a waste of time and effort.

My Mama always made me eat what was cooked before I said I didn't like it. As a general rule, I'd say try it and see. You're already half way there with your fabricated radials. At your place it may be the cat's meow.

I sure would suggest to try the modification too. I always believe that good ideas and good work tends to produce good results, and really trying stuff out helps to figure it all out...whereas just talk typically shows no or very poor results.

That is so true! I put up my first antenna in a down pouring rain and it worked great but I wanted a vertical and couldn't mount my dipole as I wanted it so I bought a A-99 then a IMAX-2000 and then and then. Seems like I just can't find an antenna I like or that performs as I want it to. I live in Illinois not far from Chicago so weather plays a big role in my choices. And due to HOA NO RADIALS!

O.K. I took down my whole antenna and checked all connections for water or problems. All looked O.K. so I went ahead and installed the homemade ground plane on it. Before install I found on channel 38 LSB I had about 1 1/2 to 2 S units of noise. After install I have about 1 S unit of noise? I'm happy with this but don't quite understand it. :confused: I haven't heard any locals here today as it has been quite all day not even a trace of skip here.:( I have pics of all of it put together and will share. By the way all of this is painted light blue to make it less obvious to HOA.:sneaky2:

Attachments

• GP A-99.JPG
    GP A-99.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 12

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.