• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wouxun KG-UV920R Price and Availability Update

Just a little bit gets lost in the translation from Chinese to English.
I can only wonder how well the user manual is worded.
Anyway, it is discouraging that they have jumped so much in price, had hoped that they would provide some competition to the other major players and make them also become more competitive in there pricing.

jeff
if you need the manual of chinese radio, you can leave me the message, i will send you!

need translation service about the radio, you can also leave me the message!

It is being sold on ebay by two Chinese sellers... here is one:
WOUXUN KG-UV920R Multi-Function VHF/UHF Dual Band FM Transceiver Mobile Radio | eBay

Being advertised as having 150 Khz to 30 Mhz AM receive.

One of the features listed is "Shake dizzy, shaking death". HUH!!? :unsure:

The other seller in China does not list the 150 Khz to 30 Mhz receive in his specs at all:
Wouxun KG-UV920R Car Dual Band Mobile Radio 136-174 / 400-480 Mhz + DTMF mic | eBay

So I'm left wondering what the TRUE specs of the radio are... :unsure:
i can send you the manual to check it first!

Cool, now we're getting the Wouxun reps posting on the forum. Maybe they will listen to us:

THE PRICE IS TOO HIGH. IF YOU PRICE IT AROUND $200 YOU WILL SELL THEM BY THE TRUCK LOAD.

Think that will get lost in the translation?

Jiàgé tài gāo. Rúguǒ nǐmen de jiàgé yuē 200 měiyuán, nǐ huì chūmài tāmen yī kǎchē

from google translator for
"THE PRICE IS TOO HIGH. IF YOU PRICE IT AROUND $200 YOU WILL SELL THEM BY THE TRUCK LOAD."

Last edited:
wouxun reps

They may just reply: "Your current administration has let your currency devalue to 2/3 what it was worth when we started this project. Do the math."

I'm not planning on getting one now because it doesn't have what I believed it would when we first read about it. Other than power, it's really just a KG-UVD1 in a moblie case.

They may just reply: "Your current administration has let your currency devalue to 2/3 what it was worth when we started this project. Do the math."

I'm not planning on getting one now because it doesn't have what I believed it would when we first read about it. Other than power, it's really just a KG-UVD1 in a moblie case.

10-4 on that.

According to an inflation calculator on line, an item which cost $200 in 2011 would cost $204 in 2012. And while it is true that over the long term the dollar has been losing value, i don't think it is the cause of the price hike of this radio.

First they put this carrot out on a stick to get an idea of demand and hike up the costs, then they take forever to produce it and get it to market, while the chinese economy also begins to struggle with a weakening yuan during this year.

I think the lowest you will find these UV920 rigs will be $300, and thats only after they have been out for a while... Plus there is no support for them. I think it will be an interesting radio, and I'd like to see a Review compared with the big names we have known for years and see how it stacks up. I know that my Chinese HT's have hot receivers on them, hopefully that mobile rig will be a performer..

I think a first time intro into the market, such as this, they are way over priced, and will move off the shelves at a turtle's pace. Only time will tell, but I think they are in for a sales disappointment though.

Reactions: 1 person
One of the things that concerns me as much as the price of this mobile rig is service.

A little over 20 years ago I bought an Icom 2400A dual bander at my local ham store. It worked great for a week, then one day I turned it on, it flickered, went out and then nothing, no light no sound, it was dead. I checked the fuses, read the trouble shooting section in my book, asked for some ideas on the local repeaters, and none of the suggestions got it working. So, I put it in the box and drive it over to the store where I got it, and tell my friend the sales guy what happened, he in turn calls the service tech out and hands it to him. The service guy says he'll take a look and he takes it into the service area and opens it up. Meanwhile I'm just chatting with the guys in the store, and in about 10 minutes or so the service guy brings it back out and says , all fixed up, he probed around and found a cold solder joint on the main board, and said it was a common problem with some of the Icom's and they had service bulletins on it so he knew about what to look for.

Well, I was happy camper, I thanked them, put it in my car, turned it on, and it's been working great for well over 20 years. I has never skipped a beat, and still looks like the day I took it out of the box.

My point is what do you do with this Chinese rig if it craps out a week after you paid well over $300 for it ? You probably have to air mail it back to Hong Kong, or wherever it has to go, because I doubt that they have a service shop here in the US. If you're lucky you might see your radio again in 3 or 4 months, or maybe they will just ship you a new one if theres a warranty, and I think there is, but who knows what you have to do to get these things replaced or repaired.

Now if they had a service facility here and you could get it repaired, and sent back to you within a few weeks that wouldnt be bad. I had to ship my HF rig off for repair a few years ago, and it's a Kenwood, and I got it fixed and shipped back to me in 3 weeks time which was not bad at all.

So far the lowest price I have seen was $320, and I believe that is from a company in Hong Kong, which is still pretty high, next to any of the big names that we all know. Maybe in time, we'll see them come down into the $279 area, once they see we aren't going to buy them for $389, I don't know. But if they read the ham radio forums I am sure they will see our displeasure over the prices they are posting for them.

I'm in no big hurry, I've got a few good mobile rigs, so I'll just sit back and watch what happens.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated