• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WTF pictures of amps!

boy your quick to judge somebody.how many amplifiers have you built??everybody has to start somewhere.hes not asking you to buy any ,so why you bashing his work?

boy your quick to judge somebody.how many amplifiers have you built??everybody has to start somewhere.hes not asking you to buy any ,so why you bashing his work?
Some are quick to judge another's work whether it be ignorance/jealousy or just to be a soarhead.

It's like the commercial stated, " don't hate me because I'm beautiful", some do not understand that on a pc board that if the trace happens to break due to a number of reasons that the emitter on that transistor will lose all contact with ground and thus will fail due to the imbalance placed on it by the demands of the other transistors in that circuit.

Strapping is just another fail-safe method of protecting a circuit and should not be judged by those who don't know what's up that circuit.

And btw I cannot see the QS forum so I can't even say what's what on the amp. How's that for honesty?

Maybe he shouldn't be selling them if they aren't perfected. If you are a fan of half assed amplifiers, then buy one. When he has a store on CBRT he is effect asking people to buy them. I have built my own 4 pill and it is one hell of a lot better than the slop I see in those pictures. The input and output are tuned nicely without having to use problematic trimmer caps.
Have a nice day. Oh BTW I'll post the pictures of my amp for you.
Just because I built my own doesn't mean that I know everything about them....and it sure doesn't mean I can sell them. It took me 4 days to build this one neatly, but at least it worked right from the start although I put the keying circuit together ass backwards and had to redo it. This amp works perfect and has been for 2 years.
This may have been the only amp I ever built, but it's better than any amp Zman350 has built.
Build your own, parts are available at Westgate Labs.

Attachments

• MF-80 001.jpg
    MF-80 001.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 110
  • MF-80 002.jpg
    MF-80 002.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 72
  • MF-80 003.jpg
    MF-80 003.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Some are quick to judge another's work whether it be ignorance/jealousy or just to be a soarhead.

It's like the commercial stated, " don't hate me because I'm beautiful", some do not understand that on a pc board that if the trace happens to break due to a number of reasons that the emitter on that transistor will lose all contact with ground and thus will fail due to the imbalance placed on it by the demands of the other transistors in that circuit.

Strapping is just another fail-safe method of protecting a circuit and should not be judged by those who don't know what's up that circuit.

And btw I cannot see the QS forum so I can't even say what's what on the amp. How's that for honesty?

Strapping is OK for boards that have minimal ground traces, but the comp amps have boards that are nothing but 1 big ground so the strapping is completely unnecessary.

People have been strapping the collectors forever. Doesn't really seem necessary to me, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

It would be nice if people would learn to bias these things and put some output filtering in there if they're going to continue to take the time to build them. Without that, it just seems 1/2 built, to me.

Strapping is OK for boards that have minimal ground traces, but the comp amps have boards that are nothing but 1 big ground so the strapping is completely unnecessary.

Maybe so if the board happens to be made of 2 oz. copper but if 1 oz. is used then all bets are off, I've built with 1 oz. and it's crap and tends to lift from the board when heated.

People have been strapping the collectors forever. Doesn't really seem necessary to me, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

It would be nice if people would learn to bias these things and put some output filtering in there if they're going to continue to take the time to build them. Without that, it just seems 1/2 built, to me.
I'm sure you meant emitters
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/toshiba/1468.pdf

I have said this before,

I wish these "amp builders" would build an amp for all bands/modes for amateur radio use.

I have been told that you can use them with out a band switch and they work just fine on the amateur bands.

I find this OUTRAGEOUS.

Send me an amp, I will try it on the ham bands and provide results, but I will not buy one without actual proof.

I will stick with Ameritron until then.

I am not looking for a free amp, if I want an amp, I will buy it, I just do not think these amps should be advertised to work on the ham bands without proper filtering and band switching just to get by the "laws", say what they are, call a spade a spade.

I have said this before,

I wish these "amp builders" would build an amp for all bands/modes for amateur radio use.

I have been told that you can use them with out a band switch and they work just fine on the amateur bands.

I find this OUTRAGEOUS.

Send me an amp, I will try it on the ham bands and provide results, but I will not buy one without actual proof.

I will stick with Ameritron until then.

I am not looking for a free amp, if I want an amp, I will buy it, I just do not think these amps should be advertised to work on the ham bands without proper filtering and band switching just to get by the "laws", say what they are, call a spade a spade.

By the time proper regulated biasing, a decent bandswitch with mutliple relays and at least a 5 or 7 element filter for each band segment. Hell you would have to go with something like Ameritron, because the local little guy that builds the whole thing by himself and pays full price compared to say when Amertitron buys a thousand at a time. Price wise just can't be done. At least not what you would be willing to pay. as you said you would wanna try and test it first before you would even think about it.

As to what Psycho said, While I am on that forum alot and have dealings with some ppl there. I have to agree, the design needs alot of work. That is all i can say.

I'm sure you meant emitters

hehe...yeah that sounds pretty silly doesn't it.

Believe it or not, I was trying to concentrate and post while at a 10yr old cheerleading competition for my daughter with about 200 screaming girls all around. LOL. I don't think I'll be able to think straight for about a week. Next time I'm having a few stiff drinks before I go to something like that....

Its a good idea to have braided straps across the grounds (emitters).
The alternative is to have ground connection to the bottom of the board, and the bottom layer is a solid ground. The board though must be plated thru with "vias".

Whats more important is what you cant see, like the proper tuning for efficiency, and how well the pills are mounted to the heatsink for good thermal transfer.

Its a good idea to have braided straps across the grounds (emitters).
The alternative is to have ground connection to the bottom of the board, and the bottom layer is a solid ground. The board though must be plated thru with "vias".

Whats more important is what you cant see, like the proper tuning for efficiency, and how well the pills are mounted to the heatsink for good thermal transfer.

Many an amp i have repaired never had screw holes countersunk. Sad but true. LOL had one guy near me building amps and never heard of thermal grease, so he used tooth paste. True story (Dillion built). I remember cussing repairing that amp.

Last edited:

I have to disagree with you on that mole. They are half assed built. :laugh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.