• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WTH IS THIS 5/8

It looks as if it is made with very serious and strong hardware to me. Who cares about ugly once it is 30 feet up and doing great DX ?

A copy, I don't know enough details on that, maybe. But that loading system must be better than a coil. As in more efficient and who does not want that ?

Too expensive for me and impractical for myself static mobile but I do no think hardware quality can be criticized personally. It looks very robust to me.

£300.00 + ($500) antennas like this in practice.... Better than a Gain Master at the same heights ? Extremely unlikely. Probably talking 0.2 dB-0.5dB differences, completely unnoticeable.

Save lots of money and buy a Gain Master.

Reactions: Marconi
Save lots of money and buy a Gain Master.

Save lots of money and just buy any 1/2 wave. Barely half a dB difference with one of those over a Gainmaster.

If DX is your goal save over $100 and just buy 40ft of wire and a dipole center and get 2-3dB gain over any of these verticals.

My experience using 1/2 wave verticals (GPA type) versus the Gain Master is that 8,000 mile + DX is easier in generally weakened F2 layer conditions. I just don't think the 1/2 wave Silver Rod I own penetrates the horizon in the right place. (not as low) Very long DX on 11m is about radiation angles not necessarily gain figures IMO. With some regularity I DX and hear comments like : "I am not hearing any other UK stations yet". I often open the band with my vertical. (though I do have decent power and good height which is a great advantage)

Locally I am fairly good yardstick of what is happening for anyone using a vertical. If I am not heard DX wise others go quiet as they tend to then know the conditions are bad.

Of course conditions etc. but I have had quite a bit of experience with both antenna types and my instinct and experiences in general favour the Gain Master.

How does a vertical wire 1/2 wave dipole have 3dB more gain than a Gain Master 5/8 wave dipole ? That's fantasy land. It is also a massive pain in the posterior to mount and boom one in anything other than a fixed install. (and even then you ideally need to clear walls etc.)

Last edited:
The gainmaster is the best performing white stick we have ever tested, half a dozen + locals use them and get better results than their old antennas except one who swapped from a vector 4000 to a gainmaster and lost a little but gained bandwidth,

In my own tests the gainmaster was a hair behind the I-10k, if they would take more power I would have one, I like the bandwidth, light weight and they are more neighbour friendly,

The reason it has not replaced all the other white sticks in this area are twofold,

They snap in high winds more easily than the a99 / imax or 827,
that could be due to how they are assembled as its very easy to crush the pipes by over tightening the hose clamps & some people ignore the suggested overlap on the tubes, at least two have snapped due to assembler error,

it could also be how stiff the mounting pole is, rigid masts put more stress on the antenna,

Some locals don't want them because they don't like high power, even 300w from a kl500 on FM has the vswr climbing on long overs,
people using proper amplifiers would burn them up in a heartbeat,

The vortex would be more suitable for guys that want to run higher power but not very high power like the USA antenna its based on, its an improvement on the stub match Q64,

The stauff clamp brace across the Fiberglas insulator won't do much other than catch snow/ice,

If the insulator had not been bolted so close to the tube ends and a quality rod used like the I-10k there would be no need for any brace, a Fiberglas rod is much stronger than the tubes its supporting, even vortex's high quality tube,

My friend up the road just bought the vortex Q82, odd length radials, stupidly overengineered fat spreaders at a high voltage node waiting to catch snow/ice,

The BS advertising for the Q82 makes me laugh.

It doesn't but I wasn't talking about a vertical dipole, I was talking about a horizontal one.

Aware of differences but remember that is directional to a degree so you will lose out in other directions so not really a straight 2-3dB Gain omni-directional-y. In addition before that is realized you need to be up very high.

At anything lower than 1/2 wave a vertical should perform better.

Aware of differences but remember that is directional to a degree so you will lose out in other directions so not really a straight 2-3dB Gain omni-directional-y. In addition before that is realized you need to be up very high.

At anything lower than 1/2 wave a vertical should perform better.

16ft is hardly up high and an inverted V is pretty much omnidirectional.

16ft is hardly up high and an inverted V is pretty much omnidirectional.

An inverted V is not a dipole as far as I understand. Though I might be wrong, maybe it is a type of dipole or a stretch of the term. And much of the antenna will be way below 9 feet if your centre mounting pole is at 18 feet. (as it slopes I assume so I am guessing an inverted V has a different take off angle from a specifically horizontal dipole, that slope must have an effect on the TOA and I am going to guess it is detrimental.)

From wikipedia:

"However, in practice, ground proximity and ground conductivity as well as end effects reduce the efficiency of the inverted vee considerably compared to the dipole: In the 40-foot example above, considering a useful take-off angle of 40 degrees above the horizon, the inverted vee produces a maximum gain of 1 dBi in a circular pattern, whereas the dipole produces an oval pattern ranging from 6 dBi toward the sides down to 1.2 dBi toward the ends."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_vee_antenna

Depends on what your situation is 16 feet, (more like 18 feet for 11m band) is quite high for the practicalities of getting something horizontal (or V) up when out mobile and that is always my own perspective... 11m static mobile so my opinions/understanding is always with that operational skew.

Vertical 5/8 GM suits me very nicely in practice (both in terms of ease of set up and very long DX results, 8,000 miles +), easier for me to mount and better nominal performance and real gain at 1/2 wave above ground at very low and desirable TOA at 11m than horizontals. (single element)

An inverted V is not a dipole as far as I understand. Though I might be wrong, maybe it is a type of dipole or a stretch of the term. And much of the antenna will be way below 9 feet if your centre mounting pole is at 18 feet. (as it slopes I assume so I am guessing an inverted V has a different take off angle from a specifically horizontal dipole, that slope must have an effect on the TOA and I am going to guess it is detrimental.)

It s a dipole with its two elements at a downward angle, nothing more. If the elements are at a 45 degree angle then they will get to just below 13 feet or so, the less the angel the higher the tips will be. There will be some difference in the angel of radiation, but remember the high current point will be at the highest point, so the change will be minimal.

Depends on what your situation is 16 feet, (more like 18 feet for 11m band) is quite high for the practicalities of getting something horizontal (or V) up when out mobile and that is always my own perspective... 11m static mobile so my opinions/understanding is always with that operational skew.

I dunno, extendable fiberglass pole and use part of the guy wires as an inverted v...

The DB

Reactions: 543_Dallas
I dunno, extendable fiberglass pole and use part of the guy wires as an inverted v...

The DB

That is exactly what I had in mind. This for example is 30ft long extended and telescopes down to 26 inches and weighs just 3lb.

http://www.sotabeams.co.uk/compact-light-weight-10-m-30-ft-mast/

Sotabeams also ship worldwide. They've got a ton of stuff on that website that is ideal for static mobile operation.

We also have here in the UK ex-military push up masts available made by Clarke and Racal which can go up to over 30ft and they're still portable enough to be used for static mobile by a single person and you can stick a Hexbeam and rotator on those.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.