• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WWV being picked up on a BC8500XLT

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
So I was programming some airband frequencies into this beast and started to turn the vfo to the next available channel and heard WWV blasting through. This scanner does 25mhz-1.3ghz unmodded.

Video will be added shortly.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Probably some kind of image if the IF is 10 mhz on that radio it might me mixing somehow and your hearing it

Probably some kind of image if the IF is 10 mhz on that radio it might me mixing somehow and your hearing it

Busted out with a shortwave radio and am not able to pick up any wwv time on 5,10,15 or 20mhz :/

Sent from my SCH-I605

boy that is one lemon of a shortwave radio if you cant hear WWV.

what you are hearing is indeed an image frequency.

no one (besides us) cares about scanners anymore so the manufacturers arent building in as much image rejection as they used to.
LC

Reactions: 1 person
Since he was changing frequencies and the signal remained constant (I think) it would not be an image but rather most likely leakage of the WWV signal into the IF section. I tried to find out what that model had for an IF frequency but no luck.

CK,

i guess i read his statement differently than you did.

i thought he meant that once he switched to a certain freq. that he heard WWV coming through.

maybe 7 will come back and clarify.

something tells me that these scanners have a 10.7mhz IF in them.
LC

CK,

i guess i read his statement differently than you did.

i thought he meant that once he switched to a certain freq. that he heard WWV coming through.

maybe 7 will come back and clarify.

something tells me that these scanners have a 10.7mhz IF in them.
LC

As you can see where it says L/O 000.0000 there's no frequency LOL the scanner is old school, and I wonder what freq it sits on when it goes to a memory that says 000.0000

Sent from my SCH-I605

As you can see where it says L/O 000.0000 there's no frequency LOL the scanner is old school, and I wonder what freq it sits on when it goes to a memory that says 000.0000

Sent from my SCH-I605

Possibly WWV on 25 MHz ???

Sent from my SCH-I605

I was just looking at the channel number and the freq. display. It may default to 25 MHz and WWV did resume transmissions on 25 MHz in April this year. Why not program the thing up with some REAL frequencies and then listen. Program a couple non-used ones as well as 25.000 MHz and see then.

Reactions: 2 people
I was just looking at the channel number and the freq. display. It may default to 25 MHz and WWV did resume transmissions on 25 MHz in April this year. Why not program the thing up with some REAL frequencies and then listen. Program a couple non-used ones as well as 25.000 MHz and see then.

There you go, sure enough 25MHz is booming with WWV time from CO and HI at the same time. The SW radio I use mostly is a Grundig G3. Too lazy to plug in the radioshack dx-394.

Sent from my SCH-I605

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.