• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

X-Force Amp is finished!

ExitThirteen

Grumpy and Cranky
Apr 18, 2008
Cornpatch of Iowa
It's alive!!! I finally got this thing done. This X-Force 2x4 amp came to me as the typical AM'ers amp. Even tho it had "class B" biasing, there was wasn't any way I could use it on SSB....sounded really dirty and looked nasty on my scope.

First thing I did was pull out the non-regulated powers supply. I bought a 1000W computer power supply off Ebay and converted it so I could run it in the amp. The power supply is rated at about 80 amp surge @ 12.1 volts. This helped with some of the the distortion, but it still had some in there. Checking the bias voltages, I noticed that they were around .35V, which isn't near enough to get it to class AB1 for SSB use. So I yanked out the biasing circuit and decided to start over. Below is the finished product.

DSC00133.jpg

It ended up being a pretty clean install, and so far it works great! I tore a page out of Eagle1911's "Quick and dirty class AB mod" thread when I did up the biasing. I used 1N5402 3 amp 200V diodes for this mod. All parts can be bought at Radio Shack. I added a 2nd relay to switch out the bias voltage in this case, since I have the amp setup to be directly keyed from the radio (note the 1/8 jack in the back of the unit). So far it's been talking real well, runs about .62 volts on the transistors at keydown. I filed a flat spot on each diode and used plenty of heatsink compound between the diodes and the transistors. Checked it on my scope and the waveform looks real good. This setup does about 550-600W on SSB on my Bird 43A wattmeter. Below is a pic of the bias circuit after it was completed.

DSC00134.jpg

I was talking to a friend of mine who was 4 miles away from me, and he was marvelling at how clean it sounded for that kind of output being that close... and had a guy from Australia come in and tell me it sounded great! So I can say my first DX contact on this was to Australia! (y) Anyhow, I hope you folks enjoy the pictorial, and (again) thanks to everyone involved in the biasing thread for the information!!

~Cheers~

Reactions: 3 people

It does 550-600W on the Bird 43A wattmeter I have, at class AB1. I use a MOSFET final Cobra 2000 GTL for the radio, doing 18-19W SSB into it. Forgot to mention I yanked out the preamp circuit when I redid everything, as the design X-Force used is crap. Not sure of the reasoning behind the ceramic caps on the output toroids, that's what was in the amp when I got it, and they weren't installed aftermarket, so I just left them in there.

Interestingly enough, my power output didn't change hardly at all going from class B to AB1. And even more odd is the fact that it didn't change much from class C (I ran it class C to see what output power was like) to class AB1... thought class C would have a bit more output, but this was not the case here. It seemed to effect more of the efficiency (amperage draw on the power supply) rather than the output directly.

I'll also add that that when I was experimenting with biasing that I ended up cooking the original 2SC2879's. Fortunately, I was able to get a matched quad reasonable from a friend who's a dealer. If I would have popped the 2nd set of finals, I would have just yanked out the power supply and gutted the amp, and gave the case to my friend. But after a couple days of talking, so far so good! :D

~Cheers~

I would be afraid the bias voltage will change when you run the amp in the mobile because you didn't use a voltage regulator.

""""First thing I did was pull out the non-regulated powers supply. I bought a 1000W computer power supply off Ebay and converted it so I could run it in the amp. The power supply is rated at about 80 amp surge @ 12.1 volts. This helped with some of the the distortion, but it still had some in there. Checking the bias voltages, I noticed that they were around .35V, which isn't near enough to get it to class AB1 for SSB use. So I yanked out the biasing circuit and decided to start over. Below is the finished product."""""

I dont understand your concern or not understanding what your saying about Exit putting this in a mobile?

Well ok then never mind what I said. It thought that the power supply and amp were in different boxes so they could be separated for mobile operation. I didn't realize there was a power supply hidden under that fan but I see it now.

should be able to boost the voltage on the power supply via the sense wires...

VERY COOL LOOKING. I always find your post/threads informative and interesting

Great Build, great pictures.
I love it when some one takes one of these and makes a real amp out of it.
I have a 400-12 in storage that I gutted the power supply out of and intended to build a regulated supply for it and never got around to it.....this thread may have me looking for it soon.
Awesome stuff 13!

Jeff

Dunno if he would want to up the voltage. That would probably mean less available amps. However, the pills are rated using ~12.5v for their rated output. Not sure if that is just a reference point or the desired/optimal operating voltage.

Have you considered using Shottky diodes for the preamp? I have heard somewhere (perhaps it was on this forum) that the receive can be improved by using those devices in amps too. Probably OK to change out the receive preamp transistor with a better quality device as well. Perhaps that transistor is already being over-loaded. You did say that it sounded like crap - Exitthirteen. So, that may be something to consider too.

All in all; a first-class job all the same - IMO!

You can see my class ab/c power results in this THREAD and see the power curve.

Those are carrier watts only and shows the difference in input power levels vs. each class.

should be able to boost the voltage on the power supply via the sense wires...

VERY COOL LOOKING. I always find your post/threads informative and interesting

Yep, you can do this, but Robb mentioned a good point; you lose amperage if you raise the voltage. That's why I didn't want to raise the voltage any. I use a 50 ohm 10W block resistor on the 5V rail so it has a load to turn it on, but that's all. Would like to keep all 80 amps available for the linear itself. Glad you folks are enjoying the thread!

Jeff (AudioShockwav), if you request assistance on your X-Force amp, please let me know, perhaps we can discuss via landline or other means.

Mack, interesting numbers there... my numbers were pretty similar, but in the 500-600W area for output. But I was also showing only about 30-40W difference between AB1 and C. Good read!

~Cheers~

It's all about linearity, 10:1 is optimal as far as carrier is concerned which I controlled with the transformer wraps.

I would see around 375 watts total output from those 2/2879's with like 95% modulation.

Mack,

From what I'm seeing on my amp, wide open, I'm keying 300W, swinging 550-600W PEP. On SSB I get 550-600W on the Bird 43A. Checked it out on the AM mode with the scope and looked really good (I didn't check it on AM earlier, only SSB), didn't see any odd patterns or flat topping. I think I'm on the right path.

I really like that biasing board you have in your box, is that one of the boards from Bob85? If so, I should get myself 3 of them, so my voltage is regulated. Right now tho, the setup I have now works good from what I am seeing, and the diodes are thermally tracking properly. For now, this will do until I can find out more about that fancy board you have.

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.