• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

X-Force Amp is finished!

Well ok then never mind what I said. It thought that the power supply and amp were in different boxes so they could be separated for mobile operation. I didn't realize there was a power supply hidden under that fan but I see it now.

No problem bud you just had me baffled for a minute there LOL!! I do understand what your saying now though.

Mack,

From what I'm seeing on my amp, wide open, I'm keying 300W, swinging 550-600W PEP. On SSB I get 550-600W on the Bird 43A. Checked it out on the AM mode with the scope and looked really good (I didn't check it on AM earlier, only SSB), didn't see any odd patterns or flat topping. I think I'm on the right path.

I really like that biasing board you have in your box, is that one of the boards from Bob85? If so, I should get myself 3 of them, so my voltage is regulated. Right now tho, the setup I have now works good from what I am seeing, and the diodes are thermally tracking properly. For now, this will do until I can find out more about that fancy board you have.

~Cheers~
Yes they are bobs' boards, he may still have a few.

Good stufff here. I have a friend who runs a mobile X-force at home, needs some bias to clean it up. This is a nice read.

Update on the X-Force...

Still talking on it, and it just pounds away, no problems. I did bypass the variable on the front, I just run it full tilt. That bumped up output to about 625-650W on my Bird 43A wattmeter. Had a friend of mine sitting in my driveway in his mobile, and he had me turn it off, then back on, and he said that he couldn't see any difference in his mobile. Told me it sounds exactly the same with it on as it does with it off. So I had him hop on my base, and I listened in his mobile. I was blown away, I literally could not tell if he had it off or on, it was that clean. I'm tickled to death about this setup. If only the power supply would do 80 amps @ 13.8V instead of 12.1V. But hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If anyone wants info on this setup, I'll try to assist the best I can. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to post this!

BTW, if anyone wants to chat with me on the air, I run 27.455 LSB. Listen for Rick 777 in NE Central Iowa, that be me. :D

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
i would get that psu tweaked around 15v.if its the one i think it is its one big 12v unit with buck converters for +5 +3.3,ect.since you are not using the other lines you can push it by lowering the current sense shunts.
should not be hard to tweak the reference .even add an adjustment to it.
it would run even better.

Only thing about bringing up the voltage on the PSU is that by bringing up the voltage, it reduces the maximum amperage you can draw. I draw every bit of 70-75 amps from this supply in SSB mode, and if I brought the voltage up to 13.8V, most likely the PSU would fail. For what it does currently, I'm happy with the output and performance. :)

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.