• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

X-Force XT-400 2x4 (6 Pill) Pill Driver

Primetime17

Jan 5, 2011
Help!!!!! Can someone please tell me where my problem lie? I have a Cobra 21 GTL that swings about 17 watts and I have a 200 amp Alternator and only see about 650 watts output from my pill box. What do I need to do to achieve around 1000 watts or better from this box? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The amp has four final transistors. I'll assume they are 2SC2879's rated at 120 watts out each. While it is possible to see over 200 watts from each transistor, it's not likely to happen. Even with the 200 amp alternator you would need to be hitting the amp with over 18 volts. The transistors would be driven deep into saturation and could fail at any instant. In order to reach you power goal, you should be working with twice as many final transistors.

what kind of meter you using?some show more some show less.any good working 2by4 should show near 1000 peak "thats peak watts now"on a peak reading meter .

if its a rms type reading meter then your already in the ballpark.

Thanks Shockwave, I appreciate the info.....The amp was billed as " No Driver Needed and would deliver 1000 watts"!!!! I take it is not the case here... Thanks I guess i will continue to search for a good pill box.

Might get close to that if there was an 18 volt battery bank charging at like 21.5 volts. That power is never going to happen from just changing the stock alternator to 200 amps.

I agree with Shockwave, I have a box with 4 2879`s that will do close to a KW.....the power supply is running in excess of 20 volts.
Oh, and one has to make dam sure that all your ducks are in a row, any reflect and you will be replacing 2879`s by the handful.

If you want a KW and have it be a reliable mobile set up you will need to go bigger.

Jeff

Shockwave I have a question? What would you consider a good, solid 2000 watt box and/or it's components? Required amprage and depending on the box, required input watts? Any suggestions?

The term "good" to me means the amp was built with quality components and parts didn't stop getting added inside as soon as it was able to make power. It will have bias that tracks from a regulated voltage source and band pass filtering on it's output for spectral purity. Unfortunately there is nothing manufactured for mobile use at the 2 KW power level that fits my idea of this description.

Something that is built "solid" just means it's going to be reliable and stay together. This goal is easier to meet by staying within the transistors operating specifications. Use 16 final transistors to reach 2 KW PEP and you'll have reliability as long as the heat sink is sufficient. Depending on voltage and drive, this stage alone can draw about 300 amps peak.

the problem is not the box its your radio. 17 peak watts is not going to get you where you want to be with that 2by4. a 200 amp alt is plenty for that box as well.
if you have a higher swinging radio you could try that and see what you get out the 2by4.
your dosy could be reading quite tight too. i had a dosy that was pretty tight reading compared to my rf limited meter.

given what your swinging into the box i,d say its doing its job .

you have 2 driver pills to work with only 17 peak watts ...you need more swing.

I hardly think his radio not doing enough power has anything to do with not getting 1 KW. I would be confident that with 2 driving 4 we can expect that about 90% of the time the amp is over driven hard. There is already enough drive power available for twice the finals he has if run correctly.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.