• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu 891, MFJ-939Y and grounding questions

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
So got my new rig all setup here in the house and tied the radio to the tuner with nice 12awg wire on the rear per norm. Then attached via wire to ground rod outside (via wire with wire nut). Cuts the RX noise and all good.

End fed on a slope about 16 feet on one end and about 12 feet on other and 17 foot of counterpoise and 25 feet of coax feedline.

I just noticed with the ground wire (wire nut to undo) the auto tuner won't tune some stations. I undo the ground wire (with wire but under shelf) and it tunes. Keep in mind the tuner and radio are still grounded together on the back of the rigs and I just disconnect the wire nut.

With ground wire on.

Ground wire disconnected at the "nut". Radio and tuner still bonded with ground wire.

Last edited:

Here's the endfed (9:1). It's about 50 feet of 12THHN and from 14' up on house end and slopes to like 12' on other end to post in yard. Both ends have standoffs. Counterpoise is the green wire (12THHN) and is 17' long.

Maybe the counterpoise since it passes by shack feed point when coupled with ground wire at antenna mast point is causing RF loop??

ACDC092C-9FD8-453F-B33B-D6E0E6FCD8F3.jpeg
7C793F98-7A2A-4A87-BE3A-D1021E048ABE.jpeg

The tuner likes the floating ground and uses it as a counterpoise. The counterpoise goes away when grounded? or Sounds like grounding it causes a ground loop?

That's what I'm thinking.

I do notice a previously tuned freq without ground wire does not like the ground wire reattached for TXing. It goes right into Tune mode on the auto tuner and kicks me out so to speak of the previous tune and gives me the 3 beep thing.

I also notice the TUNE SWR is better without the ground wire vs with ground wire. Like 1.5 with ground and 1.2 (guess) without ground

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?