• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-400D

s55db

Oct 20, 2010
New C4FM FDMA mobile rig from Yaesu

2012825151830_ftm400-3.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

Looks to be a data radio for the aprs, gps, bluetooth fans etc... Not a bad looking rig but the control head is almost twice the size of the radio body... Don't know how you would attach that large head to the radio itself... it's also a 50 watt rig, Not much info on it, theres are a few youtube videos , basically taken at the Japanese radio fair. I suppose if you're into APRS, etc, and like a radio with packet built in this is for you.. Im not into the APRS , GPS, rigs etc...

Yaesu New FTM-400D - Amateur Radio Festival in Tokyo, 2012
2m/430MHz: 50W FM, C4FM FDMA w/ GPS for APRS(1200/9600bps), Micro SD
RX: 108-990MHz

If anyone asked me I'd say I cannot read Japanese. That being said, it appears the release date is November as I can identify 11 and the kanji for month right after it.

Nice. I dig the color screen... I wonder how well it can be seen during daylight hours in direct sunlight?

I noticed the new Icom radio went for a mono-chrome touchscreen. Both seem like very nice radios.

Looks to be a data radio for the aprs, gps, bluetooth fans etc... Not a bad looking rig but the control head is almost twice the size of the radio body... Don't know how you would attach that large head to the radio itself... it's also a 50 watt rig, Not much info on it, theres are a few youtube videos , basically taken at the Japanese radio fair. I suppose if you're into APRS, etc, and like a radio with packet built in this is for you.. Im not into the APRS , GPS, rigs etc...

Yaesu New FTM-400D - Amateur Radio Festival in Tokyo, 2012
2m/430MHz: 50W FM, C4FM FDMA w/ GPS for APRS(1200/9600bps), Micro SD
RX: 108-990MHz

It doesn't attach to the body, it's like the FTM-350, its a remote head only.

Reactions: 1 person
There are some videos up of the rig.
FTM-400D - YAESU 08/25/2012 08:06pm PST - YouTube
FTM-400D - YAESU 08/24/2012 08:54pm PST - YouTube

The mic attaches to the body and the body looks a lot like an FT-8800 but with USB and SD card slot in the front.

In the second video they show the banner and it looks like 2 different versions of the radio may be available a 20W and a 50W, that seems dumb. Perhaps the low power version will be a really small weather proof body like the FTM-10SR for motorcycles, that would actually be neat.

It looks like soft buttons at the bottom of the screen, touch screen?

I'm sure it carrys a hefty price tag, and it's probably for those who do data, like APRS, etc... Thanks for the videos , it's an interesting rig no doubt, and it may be a touch screen too.... I'm sure there is a market for it in the data area... 20 or 50 watt models don't make any sense to me, why not one rig that has adjustable outputs? Just my 2 cents... I'll guess at $629 when it hits the stores...

I'm sure it carrys a hefty price tag, and it's probably for those who do data, like APRS, etc... Thanks for the videos , it's an interesting rig no doubt, and it may be a touch screen too.... I'm sure there is a market for it in the data area... 20 or 50 watt models don't make any sense to me, why not one rig that has adjustable outputs? Just my 2 cents... I'll guess at $629 when it hits the stores...

That's a very good Pricetiment, maybe its 50w vhf and 20w uhf ? I hope it's better than my ftm-350ar. The radio would be neato in my.mobile.

★ Sent from my Droid★

Here's the tentative specs:

5400spec.jpg

I'm definitely interested, especially since it has a USB port and capability of sending video. Perfect for ARES work. If it will also cross band I might be putting my FTM-350 up for sale...

Here's the tentative specs:

5400spec.jpg

I'm definitely interested, especially since it has a USB port and capability of sending video. Perfect for ARES work. If it will also cross band I might be putting my FTM-350 up for sale...

Thanks Bernard for that page. Printed it out.

I wonder if any of the dealers at Frostfest (Richmond, VA hamfest on Feb 2nd - ARRL state convention) will have any of these? I was talking about it with the XYL and when she asked what the price was I told her it had not been announced yet, but probably around $800-900 and her reply was, "We could probably afford that if we plan for it..."
So, if any dealers do have one at the show I may be taking it home. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.