• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-60

Quinny

Feb 7, 2006
Hi everyone.

I'm just about to start on the path to being a radio ham,here in the UK,and because of my job,I was thinking of buying a Yaesu FT-60 as my first radio,purely because it's a rare handie that pushes 5w,and it would be less trouble to move from truck to truck,being portable.

Under the foundation licence for newbies in the UK,we are limited to 10w,so this handie would be ideal.

Has anyone on here got one,and would it be a good choice for a first radio,or should I look at something else?

I can import a new one form the USA for £111,($194) plus shipping,so apart from the issue of the mains charger,which I would have to source here,I can't see any other problems.

Ken.

Thanks for that.I've put the eHam site in my favourites,and I must say,it's a mind boggling site!!!!

Reading what's on there,has made the job a lot harder. :LOL:

But I'm sure that my first reaction as to what to buy,will be a good one.

Ken.

I know what you mean but, sometimes you have to just jump in with both feet and just grow into the equipment. You are also better to get equipment you wont outgrow to soon. Also if you want to spend alittle more money check out the Yaesu FT-817nd.

Quinny said:
Hi everyone.

I'm just about to start on the path to being a radio ham,here in the UK,and because of my job,I was thinking of buying a Yaesu FT-60 as my first radio,purely because it's a rare handie that pushes 5w,and it would be less trouble to move from truck to truck,being portable.

Under the foundation licence for newbies in the UK,we are limited to 10w,so this handie would be ideal.

Has anyone on here got one,and would it be a good choice for a first radio,or should I look at something else?

I can import a new one form the USA for £111,($194) plus shipping,so apart from the issue of the mains charger,which I would have to source here,I can't see any other problems.

Ken.

Hi Ken,

The FT-60 is a nice compact dualband HT. I bought one aboutt a year ago, then sold it to get a VX-5r. Afterwards, I found that I missed the FT-60 and picked up another one just recently.

If you don't mind a used HT, then my favorite would be the FT-530. Larger than today's HT's - fits nicely in the hand, many features (check it out on the eham site). It was also an HT I regretted selling, and just last month bought one off ebay, so I'm a happy camper again - Good luck with your choice,
Woody

Thanks Guys.Your input is most helpful.

I have to pass the course first,but I don't think there'll be a problem with that.The only down side is my local club have already started it,and it's now in it's 2nd week,but the Chairman said I was welcome to come along,and participate.

The course is having a small holiday,(vacation) at the moment,and restarts on Feb 25th,so I can't wait.

Ken.

Quinny said:
Thanks Guys.Your input is most helpful.

I have to pass the course first,but I don't think there'll be a problem with that.The only down side is my local club have already started it,and it's now in it's 2nd week,but the Chairman said I was welcome to come along,and participate.

The course is having a small holiday,(vacation) at the moment,and restarts on Feb 25th,so I can't wait.

Ken.

Yes, get into the class and learn the stuff presented. You can study what you have alredy missed, that's no big deal.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.