• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-650 Opinions?

TIN_CAN

Nov 23, 2011
Looking at a FT-650 in the local classifieds, one owner and is clean except for a few scratched on top case, asking price is $500 Canadian, anything to look out for? Have read that they are built well with good RX and even a built in PS.

Cheers

The unique Yaesu FT-650 is designed for the serious 10 meter / 6 meter operator. Triband transmit coverage is: 24.5-25, 28-29.7 and 50-54 MHz. ONLY
Power output is adjustable from 10 to 100 watts in CW, SSB and FM modes (25 watts AM). Requires 13.8 VDC at 18 Amps or optional FP-22 slide-in power supply for AC operation.
Radio is at least 20+ years old

IMHO: Way over priced...Friend of mine picked up 2 of those at Estate Sale (1/100w version...and I think the 20 watt version for like $450 USD) Both work!!!

FT-891 YAESU FT891 HF/50 MHZ 100 WATT ALL MODE TRANSCEIVER (randl.com)

$135 USD more ALL BANDS /ALL MODES and 3 year warrenty...

You be the judge
All the Best
Gary

Gotcha, thanks for the input BJ, very attractive price on the IC718 and its new, I really dont like menu driven radios .

Tin Can: I don't understand this, "I Hate(Dislike)" menu driven radios.
Every rig I own made since 1999, is a "menu" driven rig.
I presently have 4 rigs "On the Air". I can't not tell you the last time I accessed the "Menu" to make an adjustment to any of them. (except maybe power level)
99% of all the settings, I have found whether Yaesu or ICOM are set and forget.
This constant "tweaking" of menus, seems to me almost an OCD item.
Yes this happens when one first gets a rig, but after a few weeks this obsessional behavior should be over with. IMHO:whistle::D
The biggest thing is, to me.
If one wants a Non-Menu driven rig, one must almost go back to the 70's Vintage gear.
The Kenwood 520(530)...820(830) vintage gear...The SWAN 500/700 series or the Yaesu 200/400 series rigs...DRAKE T(r) 4 series...
However these rigs, one almost needs to be able to maintain his OWN equipment.
The keeping of these rigs in working order requires Parts(parts rigs or sources)/Tubes/Test equipment etc..
Fun stuff to operate, and still work WELL, if maintained properly.
Remember these rigs are 50+ years old.

I, look at most of those rigs made in the 80's to mid-late 90's(pre-menu) to be like the US made auto's of same era...Novelty when you see one, more so normally owned by a mechanic, or someone having a Elmer with endless time and parts sources.
To keep them operational.
Or they are a rolling Junk Heap!!!:LOL:

PARTS are the biggest issue. Many, many of the IC's/transistors etc. have been out of production, and out sourced to other suppliers.
Where obtaining them becomes an issue or at least very costly..
The BIG 3 won't even discuss or work on these era rigs anymore.
Example of the op, at the Hamfest last fall that had a gorgeous FULL line set up of the Yaesu FT101 series rigs. Totally operational. I inquired to price, OVER the TOP for everything!!! I ask why, he then thru back the trap behind his booth and there were 4/5 parts rigs for the 101's...and 2/3 parts rigs for every accessory:eek:
Pretty much sums it up, when one wants to use that type of equipment.
So my worthless 2 Cent's
All the Best
Gary

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I hear yeah Gary, around my area the prices are up to $800 asking for the FT-650, and your right they are getting a little long in the tooth and I am no Tech to be able to keep it running, I have found a ft-950 for $700 Canadian which is a little newer then the 650, will be getting it this coming Saturday. Thanks for your input.

TIN Can: FT-950 is a GOOD rig. I bought one New like 16-17 years ago. Still own it!!!:whistle:(y)
Has good receiver, and descent stable transmitter.
Menu's yes but very manageable once you get use to it.
Has TX equalizer built in(works GREAT) Work's great with many Heil or quality external mics...I have a Heil PR781 on mine presently, but have had others that sound excellent depending on the EQ settings(y)
Very nice receiver, with many tools to make it pleasant and comfortable to listen to.
You will need a nice external full range communication type speaker, to make it really jump at you.
Here to help
All the Best
Gary

PS: I think $700 CD is a fair price for one in excellent physical condition, with Factory Carton/Manual/power cord/hand mic...and Unmodified!!!

Reactions: TIN_CAN
TIN Can: FT-950 is a GOOD rig. I bought one New like 16-17 years ago. Still own it!!!:whistle:(y)
Has good receiver, and descent stable transmitter.
Menu's yes but very manageable once you get use to it.
Has TX equalizer built in(works GREAT) Work's great with many Heil or quality external mics...I have a Heil PR781 on mine presently, but have had others that sound excellent depending on the EQ settings(y)
Very nice receiver, with many tools to make it pleasant and comfortable to listen to.
You will need a nice external full range communication type speaker, to make it really jump at you.
Here to help
All the Best
Gary

PS: I think $700 CD is a fair price for one in excellent physical condition, with Factory Carton/Manual/power cord/hand mic...and Unmodified!!!

Yeah your turned my mind around on the age of the ft-650...so I saw this and why not for a few extra $ Thanks man for the info ..Yes its a impressive radio I have been looking around online at some videos. Recommend any decent speakers?

Cheers

Well after 3 hrs of driving I made it back home with my new to me FT-950, it has the mars mod and IF out, now comes the fun part to learn how to operate this thing, glad I opted for this over the FT-650.

20201205-162951.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.