• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT 840 ?...

Oatmeal

Mar 22, 2009
West Virginia..
I traded for one of these awhile back the guy had it new and it was still in the plastic and box....other than been converted to be used on 11m, it stayed in the box..

So Ive had it about 6 months now I guess, and ive used it some on 10m and 11m talking dx on ssb...I do have my Tech ticket by the way...

But what I want to know, ive been listening to guys out in dx running those Kenwood radios and there modulation is really loud....

Why doesnt these Yaesu have that loud sound to them ?....
Am I missing something with this radio ?....

It all depends on the microphone and or if there running an amplifier could also make a difference to what the ear is hearing. The FT-840 like most HF radios has PLENTY of audio its just in how its setup audio wise to start with Processsing ETC

I own 2 F-840 and they are a great all around rig I have used the ones here on 10 - 20 meters with the stock handheldwith good reports but have also found that THE astatic D104 special edition (blacl and chrome model) and the older ASTATIC handheld D1O4 mics also work well.

Keep in mind that with a power mic you need to watch your ALC meter and set the mic accordingly and 9 out of 10 times you will not beable to use the processor due to overmodulation and background noise.

I have the service manual for this radio aswell in a shop manual and also have it on disc if you ever need a disc copy for realignment or setting internal adjustments ;)

I traded for one of these awhile back the guy had it new and it was still in the plastic and box....other than been converted to be used on 11m, it stayed in the box..

So Ive had it about 6 months now I guess, and ive used it some on 10m and 11m talking dx on ssb...I do have my Tech ticket by the way...

But what I want to know, ive been listening to guys out in dx running those Kenwood radios and there modulation is really loud....

Why doesnt these Yaesu have that loud sound to them ?....
Am I missing something with this radio ?....

GREAT RADIO !
It is the oldest radio in use in my shack.

Attachments

• ft-840ft100d2.jpg
    ft-840ft100d2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 267

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated