• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT 897D

Hi Jeff.I am using the FT-857 which is the exact same radio in a differant case.Yaesu wanted a really small mobile radio and another that would appeal to backpackers and emergency ops so they rebuilt the 857 into another case style and added the option for internal batteries.Mine is not the "D" model but has the DSP filter and the 2.1KHz Collins filter in it and I love the radio.Can't speak of its performance on AM but on SSB it sounds really great.You can tailor the DSP to work in the tX mode as well.I am glad I bought it.I just wish it had better (narrower) filtering in the AM mode as I like to listen to longwave and the standard broadcast band.

Ahhhh.....The old itchy-finger-wanna-buy syndrome.I was going to buy the 897 but opted for the 857 instead when I learned that they were the same rig.The 857 fits in the mobile environment better and the internal batteries was not a big deal for me.If I want to I can throw the 857 in a back pack and take my pair of 12v 7 Amp/hr gel cels and have a ball all day long.Hmmmm.... That sounds like a plan for the VHF contest next month.

I've got one but its not a D model I haven't played with it much cuz I'm recovering from a medical problem. I have the 2 internal batteries and they both lasted about 3 hours each on recieve. Once I get able to be more physically active, I will connect it to an outside antenna and install the power supply. Only thing I'm been using is an indoor manually tuned screwdriver at a window that sort of works. But I have made no HF contacts with it yet. I've used the 2 meter section to listen to some repeaters on a broken antenna and it sounded good. I also used it to listen out of band to the fire department and it had some pretty good results there even with a broken antenna.

The menu system takes some time to learn, but it gets easier the longer you use it. You will need some time to set the various settings but once done, there's little need to do more.

So far, the little bit I've done with it has been satisfactory so far as receive goes. Get the filters for it. I didn't have filters when I first got it but put some in. I have the standard SSB and narrow CW filters it it now, and they do make a difference on recieve.

If you get it also get the ADMS-4B programming software.You can get it HERE or at most ham dealers.I got it a couple months ago and it is a God send when programming the memories etc.It appears on your computer screen as a sort of Excel file and you just type in the freqs.,offsets,mode etc,etc,etc and even the 8 character name to be displayed.It will dump the programming into the rig in less than 10 seconds.It will also read from the radio so you can copy what you already had stored in it before you bought the software.It took me HOURS to program it the normal way with many cuss words from making mistakes and having to go through the "push a button-turn the knob.Push a button turn the knob" routine a gazillion times.

AudioShockwav said:
Any one using one of these Radios?
Looking for comments on this model.

thanks

Jeff

I've used both (non-d and "d"). Still using the D-model. Nice rig. I was worried a bit about the small display but once you get used to it, it's fine. The Noise Blanker is one of the BEST I've run across in these new breed digital rigs (I always compare them to my Icom IC-751A, which also has a variable NB and kills just about any annoying noise out there). So far, with about six months of use, I have no complaints.

-TSG

Thanks to everyone that has responded, now it is just the choice....857, or 897.

The more I think about, since they are basically the same rig, I can also use portable power that i have here, and save the money on internal bat/pac`s, and use it for extras like filtering.....
Jezz, the 857 just seems SOO small for a 100 watt rig.
QRN, do you have any heat issues running full output?
Anyone else have any comments on heat issues with the small rigs?

Thanks.

Jeff

The rig does get quite warm when running full power on FM but not objectionably so_On SSB it gets warm but not hot.I use mine mostly in the mobile with the head remoted.The rig has two fans that are mounted right behind the faceplate and I suppose running it with the control head detached probably helps the air flow.I never thought it got too hot though even when running it with the faceplate attached on the base however.That is with the processor turned on also as I usually forget to turn it off. :oops:

There are slight differences between the 897 and 857. Mostly in menu programming. RF wise they are about the same. The 857 has a removable face where the 897 does not.

If you are going to run mobile...857! For EVERYTHING else, there's 897!

I'm going with the 897 myself!!!

Master Chief said:
There are slight differences between the 897 and 857. Mostly in menu programming. RF wise they are about the same. The 857 has a removable face where the 897 does not.

If you are going to run mobile...857! For EVERYTHING else, there's 897!

I'm going with the 897 myself!!!

Dino

Right on the money Dino! I've got the batteries for my 897, ext ps, and plan to get a solar panel to recharge the batteries when in the "Field". I guess you saw that picture of Yaesu has of the 897 on the dash of a truck or car, but I don't know of too many dashboards with the clearance for running it mobile.

I ran one radio on the dash,a Ranger 2950DX,and never again.Besides being in plain site it would get VERY hot in the sun.I mounted my 857 to the passenger side of the floor console in my '05 Escape and mounted the control head on a pedestal meant for cell phones between the shift lever and the dash.Can't imagine mounting an 897 on the dash.

Thanks for all of the input guys, I am putting up a 14 El for 2 meters' gonna play on SSB with the 897D when it gets here ......... :D
Good price as well, Radio was $849 with free shipping, not bad at all for a rig with the "lots o goodies" it has.
Should be here next week.... 8)

cold chill`in, wait`in on the UPS guy!

Jeff
PS,
for me the main reason for the 897 over the 857 is size, I just feel better with more metal(=surface area) to get rid of the heat, ...uh..
an well it`s just that a Yaesu is not a Yaesu, unless it has a handle on the side of it....Ya know.
(lol)

AudioShockwav said:
Any one using one of these Radios?
Looking for comments on this model.

thanks

Jeff

It's a fantastic rig!! I've bought and sold quite a few newer ham rigs, usually because the NB sucked. The 897D was the first one that could match my Icom 751A. The display is small, but you get used to it after awhile. I picked it over the 857 because I liked having the option of internal batteries and taking it anywhere. I also have the FC30 tuner which works great, and an MD200 microphone to complete the station. You'll be happy with either one I'm sure -

-TheStonerGuy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.