• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-897D

KI4MSJ

Jun 4, 2006
Staunton, Virginia
Well, as luck would have it, my new 897D came in today while I was at work. Makes for a long day. Looking forward to using it on mountain topping and camping trips. I will be using my BuddiStick or ATAS 100 antennas. I need to pick up a couple of batteries but, man they are expensive, PLUS you need to buy the charger on top of that.(you think you would be able to charge from a power supply like the 817 but,NOOOOOO. Guess I will have to break down and get them. I will also get the LDG meter and AT 897.

I need to pick up a couple of batteries but, man they are expensive, PLUS you need to buy the charger on top of that.(you think you would be able to charge from a power supply like the 817 but,NOOOOOO. Guess I will have to break down and get them. I will also get the LDG meter and AT 897.

I run mine off a Marine Batt while camping...yes it is heavy, but I made up a power cord to charge it off the truck when driving, and a LOT cheaper.
You are going to LOVE that radio, It rocks!

Jeff

I use a Full size 12 volt Marine -deep cycle- battery and I have a cord that plugs into a home brew 12 Acc plug in the bed of my Lil Pick-up. It keeps the Marine Batt charged, so I can run the radio/tuner off of it while camping. I just could not bring myself to lay out the cash for the two internal Batts and Charger....

Jeff

I know. $116.00 each for the batteries and another $78 for the charger. Then if you want to be able to plug it into the wall to charge instead of the cig lighter, there goes another chunk of money.

KI4MSJ said:
I know. $116.00 each for the batteries and another $78 for the charger. Then if you want to be able to plug it into the wall to charge instead of the cig lighter, there goes another chunk of money.

Before I would go that route I would do what Audioshockwav does or pick up a pair of gel cell or AGM batteries.A pair of 10 Amp hour batteries will allow you to operate for quite a while and they can be charged from a 12 volt lighter plug as well.They are also a little easier to carry than a large marine type battery.

AudioShockwav said:
They are also a little easier to carry than a large marine type battery.
HEY Lugging around my 50 Lb Battery builds character!!
And Lowers Cholesterol ;)

Jeff

I already have enough character so my wife tells me, however she also tells me I should lower my cholesterol. Time to dig out the back pack and the golf cart batteries. :LOL:

And keep in mind the rig is only good for about 20w off of the internal battery whereas an outboard 12v battery gives you the full 100w output.
Check into the Stinger line of batteries, they're incredible and offer some smaller high-output AGM batteries. On Stinger 2150 outperformed 5 Optima Red tops in parallel when we tested a 6kw competition car audio system.

Mr Clean said:
007 this is a dumb question. Do drycell batteries put out gas vapors like regular batteries?

AGM batteries still outgas while charging, but I'm not sure if they preduce as much as a lead acid, I think not, but I'm not sure.

they all gas if charged hard but the dryfit/sealed lead acid have recombinant valving so you dont lose nearly as much over time, if you can hear the valves popping your charging too fast.

Mr Clean said:
007 this is a dumb question. Do drycell batteries put out gas vapors like regular batteries?

Are you talking dry cells like a D or AA battery? Those types of batteries do not produce gas in quantity or composition like a wet cell or an AGM battery. The AGM types and especially the wet cell lead/acid types produce explosive hydrogen gas as well as some hydrogen sulphide which is corrosive and smells like rotten eggs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.