• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT101E bane of the FT-101, the worldwide illegal CB operator

I do find that a lot in some old gear. But does not hurt to replace these caps since they are hitting 40 years old.
Right now my problems seem to be: IC current drops/rises 20ma during tune up.
No plate "dip", only in watts, not IC and its been drifting lately + .5KC since I oiled the vfo...not sure whats up with that. 6V is bang on and stable so maybe its the ground clip on the vfo cap....

It may be the af board too, pulling some voltage down, all the mylars are looking rough.
Pistachi2os-300x225.jpg

I found this:

The shorted silver mica capacitor which is causing the VFO
drift in the FT-101E is C1 650pf located in the VFO unit
pcb board PB-1056. The board is located inside the shielded
metal casing of the main tuning dial. Hope this help.

Last edited:
Um, why do you have a picture of pistachios in your post? :LOL:

And I would check the foxtango site for replacement part kits. If you have a ticket, Carol is very helpful, too.

Brett

Reactions: 357
To be honest I think amateur radio operators accepting radio's that have the capacity for continuous tuning on receive to be broke up and limited on transmit.

Non-continuous tuning or blocking out segments of a band by country is kind of like locks on doors! They only keep the honest honest they do not stop the hardened criminal. If you can not trust the people you are licensing than why give them any privileges at all.

It is not the radio's fault that "free-bander's" like it. It is kind of like blaming soldering irons, light bulbs and dikes for butchering of CB radio's and export radio's. LOL

If ever I find one that does not look like it has been dragged behind the bumper of a truck for 100 miles I will snatch it up. I like older radio's I just hate all the work so many of them need.

Some of the Ham gear is simply crazy $7K+ for a radio. You can buy a lot of used radio's for $7K+!!! I have talked to so many old timers with those as their only base for 40+ years. None of them where butchered but I hang out with pretty high end CB'er or did! LOL I am a 90% SSB 10%AM guy myself and when not contesting I like a warm full sound on am and ssb. When contesting I compress the heck out of my signal 6db and filter out a lot of lows.

That radio was popular around the entire world you see them in the UK, Germany, Afrika, Asia tot his day. If you take care of the tubes those sweep tubes can last 20+ years no problems. You could also modify it to accept more rf tubes instead of tv sweep tubes etc....

I even have a NOS RF Clipper built by an amateur out of the UK that is plug and play for the FT-101. I bought it as a present for someone that is a hard core collector. People either love these units or they hate them.

Last edited:
OK I feel I should give a shout out to a hell of a good guy, 456 The Craftsman out in the cold country of Michigan.
https://www.youtube.com/user/jlmoo1

He sent me these tubes and they look pretty good, thank you 456.

I've got them idling right now for 2 hours, I'll give them a few more.

A couple of questions for the forum, I measured -68V and -21V on pin 2 and 4 of the reg board..is that enough? Should I be checking right on the pin of the socket?

And 2nd, I notice the receive audio sounds better with a "dummy" plug in the headphone jack...anyone seen that before?

thanks

IMG_1697.JPG

Last edited:
Before and after shots of the PA socket replacement. (one of the previous owners replaced 1 socket that didn't even fit...I didn't like it.)
The sockets came as a whole assembly and included C13 and it tested 82pf compared to my 92pf so hopefully it buys me some time till I get all the caps together and recap the radio.

IMG_1551.JPG IMG_1717.JPG IMG_1723.JPG IMG_1726.JPG IMG_1728.JPG IMG_1729.JPG IMG_1730.JPG

Leaky Bucket Labs...:p

IMG_1731.JPG

I'm glad I replaced them...I see 1 pin was missing half the clamp.

IMG_1727.JPG

Last edited:
The fun begins...

cant have enough kester 44(y)

I don't have a 2.2uf cap on hand but after testing every cap I pulled, all the mylars were within 5% or less (even the cracked ones!) and all the electrolytic's with exception of the 10uf and lower were within 10%.

I do notice a improvement though

Attachments

• IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    693.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1752.JPG
    IMG_1752.JPG
    730 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1756.JPG
    728.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1757.JPG