• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350 APRS Review

I had seen that thread and with it requiring 9600 baud TTL level connection to a very small ribbon cable it kinda makes it difficult. If you could plug in any standard (NMEA 4800 baud serial level) GPS to the serial port it would make it much easier to set up. Just curious.

Does the serial port in GPS mode output the $GPWPL NMEA string when receiving a beacon from another APRS station? I believe this is the string the D710 sends to the GPS to show the callsign as a waypoint.

Thanks for the great write-ups, Moleculo!

Bryan.

Does the serial port in GPS mode output the $GPWPL NMEA string when receiving a beacon from another APRS station?

No it does not. The GPS output mode sends out your own GPS information only. The packet output mode sends out whatever packet information is received by the internal TNC. The location/GPS information from a beaconing station is the same as whatever was included in the APRS message.

Do your outgoing beacons get dumped to the serial port in packet mode or just the incoming packets? If not, then I don't see how you would integrate this radio into a useful map display without having a second GPS to feed your position. :confused: At least with an NMEA interface you would be able to have your GPS talk to both the radio and your mapping system.

After a bit more research, it seems like sending the APRS packet is way more useful anyway than just the $GPWPL, but knowing where I am would be nice too.

Bryan.

Do your outgoing beacons get dumped to the serial port in packet mode or just the incoming packets?

Good question, and I didn't try that yet. I'll test that out tonight and report back.

Does the FT-350 do Voice Alert, i.e., have the option to open up squelch on the APRS channel if PL-100 tone squelch is encountered? The TM-D710 has that option, and lack of Voice Alert is one of the things that disappoints me about my VX-8R.

Reactions: 1 person
Does the FT-350 do Voice Alert, i.e., have the option to open up squelch on the APRS channel if PL-100 tone squelch is encountered? The TM-D710 has that option, and lack of Voice Alert is one of the things that disappoints me about my VX-8R.

Yes it does. I tested it tonight and it works perfect. Thanks for that linked article. I wasn't even aware that others were doing this, so this gives me a new tool in the arsenal! I also tried to find a work around on the VX-8, but it doesn't support setting a CTCSS on the APRS band.

Quote:
Do your outgoing beacons get dumped to the serial port in packet mode or just the incoming packets?
Good question, and I didn't try that yet. I'll test that out tonight and report back.

It does not dump your APRS transmissions to the serial port. However, if your transmission was picked up by a digipeater/igate , you will see it digpeated right back to you, which is then output to the serial port. So in that sense, you still could track yourself using an external program if you're in range of a digipeater.

Questions

First off, thanks to all contributors for all the great reviews and information on this radio and the VX-8R.

Just received the FTM-350 last evening and your posts have really made getting it up and running a pleasure.

Since I'm a newbie to ham radio, packet and APRS, I really appreciate all your help.

What is the best side of the radio to run APRS? What are your thoughts on benefits/drawbacks to either side setup? Right now I have it running on the left side, but I know each side has different receive capabilities so your input is appreciated.

Secondly, I'm trying to get the radio to interact with AGW Packet Engine and AGW Tracker. I've had sucess with the VX-8R using the soundcard TNC but can't seem to get the correct setting for the packet com port operation from the 350. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. no lockups so far, though I didn't leave it on all night.

Thanks,

Glenn
N4ESU

Only thing I'd suggest you check the setting E16 Data Band Select. The default is 1:APRS Sub Band and I switched to R-Band Fix (in your case L-Band Fix). In the default setting, if you have APRS set as the main band, it will transmit on the sub band on whatever freq you have it set on. In my case it was the local repeater so I became a popular individual and not in a good way. I have no idea why that is setup that way unless its to insure you don't miss receiving a beacon while transmitting yours. So in a true emergency situation, that would be critical. Just my two cents.

Secondly, I'm trying to get the radio to interact with AGW Packet Engine and AGW Tracker. I've had sucess with the VX-8R using the soundcard TNC but can't seem to get the correct setting for the packet com port operation from the 350. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, try setting E16 data and APRS port to the same "side". Also set E15 - COM PORT SETTINGS - to output what you want and also set the correct baud rate that your PC is expecting.

Thanks guys. I had re-set both the E-16 data and aprs output to both on the left side early on based on your previous informational posts.

Any benefits running aprs on the right side instead?

As far as the com settings, I changed the radio to match the computer; the problem is probably I'm using the incorrect tnc type in the AGW packet engine. I had it set to "data engine" but it didn't seem to get any packets from the radio. I guess I'll have to keep researching. Thanks again.

I was running APRS On the right side...just because that's where I put it...no other reason. I seriously doubt it makes any difference, though. On your AGW problem, try just telling it that the FTM-350 is a KISS TNC and report back. I'm interested to see if you get this AGW thing to work...I might try it if you do.

Its definately an issue within AGWPE; when I set up hyperterminal I'm seeing the packets with no problem, so it's not radio or pc settings.

I'll keep playing with it and let you know.

The radio has been running all day on APRS and scanning local repeaters with no lock ups so far.

FTM-350R: No packet!?!

I also had trouble getting AGWPE to work. The FTM-350R uses neither terminal mode, nor KISS mode. So I emailed Yaesu asking for more documentation for packet, and they responded after consulting with the engineers in Japan.

Apparently there is no packet support. Yes, you read that correctly. Yes, the brochure and Yaesu's web site indicate it is "Packet Compatible." Apparently that means that you need to connect an external TNC to the audio signals on the back connector, just like you'd do with other mobile rigs from Yaesu (except that the FTM-350R uses an 8-pin connector, instead of the traditional 6-pin).

Ironically, I can see they decode packets and present them on the RXD pin. But apparently you can't send any packets.

I find it disconcerting that Yaesu would put all the needed hardware (the TNC for APRS, and an RS-232 interface) on the radio, and then not provide a means of using packet.

So, to Yaesu:

- If you want to expand or correct any of the above, please do so.
- I think your advertising is misleading.
- I believe the lack of packet puts your radio at a competitive disadvantage with respect to Kenwood's offering.
- It seems like you can provide full packet functionality with a firmware change. Even better, please consider providing access to firmware source code; we can all help make your product better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.