• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350AR

Got it!

I have the -350 talking to UI-View. Yea! I need to check the settings since I am still getting a error message when I connect UI-View. Once I get things right, or before if I can't figure it out, I'll post the settings.

This now make this the radio I wanted.

Ray

Way to go! Yes, please share the details of the settings! (probably should start a new thread so others can find it!)

FTM350 Pinout correction

If you are making you own cable, make sure you have the APRS manual v1.2 as the version 1.1 of this manual has some of the pins mislabeled.

Those of you who are experienced with mini-dins probably noticed and ignored the bad info. The rest of us will struggle and not understand why our data cable doesn't work.

The APRS manual version 1.2 issed last week is corrected. The attached file shows the correction.

But really, the radio has enough memories and functions that you should get the ADMS/RT systems programming software and USB data cable -- so easy, so nice knowing that I have a backup of all the programming. This cable will work for applying the the firmware update.

K4MCK

Attachments

• 350PinoutError2.GIF
    350PinoutError2.GIF
    22.8 KB · Views: 607
APRSPoint

Got the FTM-350 v1.2 to work with APRSPoint via the COM port. RF stations received are appearing on the map.

E16 COM Port Settings: Speed - 9600 bps
Output - Packet

Where is the Data terminal input is it the packet connector on the radio's main body?
I am considering this rig but want to be able to use my own GPS. I see from your post thats is apparently now possible. I printed out the APRS manual from the Yaesu site, but viewing it online I could not find ant reference to using and external GPS.
I would suspect the GPS would use TXD and TXD anlong with Ground.4800 baud, NMEA 0183. I have a Garmin 36 and one from Argent Data i can use, both are hockey puck style GPS receivers.

Gary Fiber K8IZ

FTM-350R

I ordered a FTM-350R today along with the Bluetooth and CT-140 cable. Chatted with Yaesu tech who also confirmed the ability of using an external GPS with Version 1.2 firmware as was posted here earlier.

The GPS wires to the data port and in the set mode it set to GPS IN, on page 72 of the latest FTM-350R manual on yaesu's web page.

Yaesu tech said one will have to build his own cable and had no other suggestions for connections of an aftermarket GPS but most use just 4 wires. TXD, RXD, ground and power. Sometimes power will have to be applied exrernally not from the radio. Can't wait to get the rig, get the new firmware installed the ADS - GM1 GPS from Argent connected then mounted in the mobile. The GPS needs 5 VDC ro tun I have a small 3 terminal regulator board that will handle tht if the rig will not.

Gary K8IZ

Is the hardware any different in the AR? Or is it the same as the 350R with newer firmware?

Just the firmware is different - so you can field-upgrade any R to an AR... the only hardware difference is that AR comes with a different/improved mount for the head.

I'm considering the FTM-350R and ...AR. From what I understand, the AR is GPS and Bluetooth enabled. Doesn't this mean that it comes with both the GPS and BT module installed? I can get the AR for $105 more, which, in the case of GPS and BT, along with the improved mount, would seal the deal for me. Can someone confirm that both modules are included in the AR?

Oops- I should've read closer: "The optional BH-1A/2A Bluetooth®"
What about the GPS? Is that included? If not, then $105 is an awful lot of cash to spend on a more improved mount (which should come for free, actually) and a unit that is already updated to the latest FW.

What about the GPS? Is that included? If not, then $105 is an awful lot of cash to spend on a more improved mount (which should come for free, actually) and a unit that is already updated to the latest FW.

No, it is not included. Even if it was, it's still too much because the GPS option (the one that attaches directly to the face) is $75. The new firmware enhances the GPS functionality be giving you the ability to attach an external GPS or send the internal GPS data out in standard format.

In that case, I think I'll go for the 350R and see how bad the mount is. I can always buy a MMB-98 somewhere. Thanks.

The AR has the GPS, so, as long as you're getting good satellite reception, there's no reason why not. You're power line will have to reach further if you're bringing it in from up front as I always do.

"NOTE: Existing FTM-350R owners may add the above features (except bracket) by downloading the V1.2 software from the Yaesu website (data cable required)."

73's KC5NOI

Is this true? ALL the features (except bracket)? :unsure:

HRO has a pretty good price on the R version compared to the AR version...

I got mine ordered here in Canada for $505. And yes, the only difference is the mount. The 350R get's all the additional features through the software update.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.