• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350AR

well I am finally up and operating... Yaesu! I sent my first transmission today... a radio test and received a 5X5... whooo hooo!

Just want to clarify some stuff here on the Nuvi 350 interface using Gtrans etc.

The Nuvi 350 is the ONLY gps that will work. This is either due to a bug in other gps units or a beneficial bug in the Nuvi 350.

What happens with most of the others, if they work at all, is the waypoints from APRS stations don't MOVE when a new reported location for that APRS station comes in. It simply adds another one. So you will end up with a million duplicate stations in there.

The Nuvi 350 moves them properly. It is too bad since the Nuvi 350 uses the old style low sensitivity gps chipsets, and for the best performance you should run an external antenna. A bigger nicer unit would be nice as well. But nothing to be done!

So basically, yes you need a 350, nothing else will do. GL!

Hello all,

I just wanted to provide an update to this thread... After months of waiting, Argent Data was finally able to send out my custom Gtrans Cable for the Yaesu FTM-350 and Nuvi 350 GPS.

The setup process couldn't be easier, since a wiki page has been created to outline the exact steps needed to get everything working.

It can be found here:

GTRANS Yaesu FTM-350R - ArgentWiki

Everything works as advertised - I am now able to see other APRS users on the map. To be honest - it's more of a novelty right now than anything else, but cool none the less.

I need to send out the faceplate two LeD's have burned out

Anyone know the procedure to get it fixed ?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Why would I need to use the service manual if radio is only two months old ? Its still under warrenty.

Because your post smelled like you wanted to fix it yourself. After reading your post again it sounds like your are wanting members to tell you how to submit it for warranty repair.

That info is contained within your operating manual. Read it and you'll be enlightened.

Because your post smelled like you wanted to fix it yourself. After reading your post again it sounds like your are wanting members to tell you how to submit it for warranty repair.

That info is contained within your operating manual. Read it and you'll be enlightened.

Thanks. No point in fixing it if its under warrenty. :) 3's

If only now they could get the TNC to be accessible from a PC and add digipeating...

So it isn't just me that's :headbang over the TNC? Tried to use my FTM-350AR for packet during Field Day only to find that even with the data cable (not the same as the programming cable) we couldn't get the TNC to respond.

I'd love to do packet with this rig (without an external TNC - it's one of the reasons the rig was purchased for) but have been frustrated by a host of issues with the laptop (hard to find terminal software that works correctly in Win 7 Home 64 bit and through a USB adapter) and then to encounter problems accessing the TNC using a different laptop and known working software just about put the final nail in the coffin for this rig. I'm seriously considering replacing it at this point.

Okay, quick question about using the Garmin 350 to display received APRS beacons:

The GTRANS cable allows you to use the Garmin as the GPS source for the radio, but do you have to?

I already have the GPS module installed on the radio, so all I'd like to use the Garmin for is as a map display of APRS beacons, not have it provide GPS data to the radio. I believe that if I don't set the menu option to take GPS input it should work the way I'd like it to. Can anyone confirm this?

I just scored a Garmin 350 on eBay for $23 (with shipping). Next, order the cable from Argent and see how it works.

Sweet ! Just curious why do you want to hook up another item to the rig ? Is this so you can track them "live" ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?