• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

yaesu g-550 elevation rotor

Yaesu makes a combined azimuth/elevation rotator model G-5500 for satellite use.Why do you want an elevation rotator for use with that antenna? Are you planning to mount it on the boom and rotate it to change polarity? The G-550 mates with any Yaesu rotator or you can simply use any brand for azimuth and use a short length of pipe between it and the G-550.

Yaesu makes a combined azimuth/elevation rotator model G-5500 for satellite use.Why do you want an elevation rotator for use with that antenna? Are you planning to mount it on the boom and rotate it to change polarity? The G-550 mates with any Yaesu rotator or you can simply use any brand for azimuth and use a short length of pipe between it and the G-550.

Up here in Canada the G-5500 is almost $1300
I would like to be able to go from Vertical to Horizontal with my M104

Up here in Canada the G-5500 is almost $1300
I would like to be able to go from Vertical to Horizontal with my M104

Yeah we get screwed up here. Radioworld in Toronto has them on special order for CDN$1128. Like I said with that antenna you can use any rotator for azimuth and use a very short pipe out the top of it to the G-550. Personally I am not a fan of the U-110 type rotators for azimuth use especially in high winds. I prefer the inline type like the Hygain bell shaped rotators or the Yaesu's. I use a Yaesu G-2800DXA but I have a large array to worry about. I used to use the Hygain CD-44 and ham-2 series and have great luck with them. I did break a ring gear but it was overloaded so it was my own fault. You can still get parts and a used rotator would be a good deal for you. Check out Norm's Rotor Service. A CD-44 or a TR-44 would be all you need with that antenna and still be safe under heavy winds. Always leave the antenna horizontal when the winds pick up hard.

http://www.rotorservice.com/prod1 rotor sales.htm

Reactions: Road Squawker
Hey Road Ranger, just some food for thought. If you haven't gotten the Maco M104 yet. why not just get a cubical quad. A 3 or 4 element cubical quad and a decent sized rotor that will handle the job. This way you don't have to worry about too many more moving parts at least. Large ones that are harder to fix I would think anyways. Again, just some food for though if you don't yet have the Maco M104. I don't own a beam antenna but do understand the need for proper equipment to turn and also stop an antenna correctly. Go bigger then what you actually need. Let the motor ease along instead of being pushed to or near its limits. That goes for pretty much most machinery and such. But anyways. Be safe with whatever you decide and have fun!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.